all posts post new thread

Old Forum Pistol and One arm push-up help

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tommygray89

Level 1 Valued Member
Ladies an Gents,

I have been working on mastering the pistol and the One arm/ one leg push up for the past 3 months But I need a little help/guidance. I am currently doing GTG training method.

with the pistol I need to have my heel slightly elevated to get down to depth, with the elevation I can knock off 5 with a hold at the bottom on each leg. Are there any stretches/ techniques that could help me Get down to depth whilst flat footed?

With the one arm/one leg push ups, I do a sets of 5 on each arm where I can lower myself and raise about half  to 3/4 way up before my non working leg touches the ground. Occassionally I get a complete rep.

Any advice on either problem would be greatly appreciated

also is it still a prerequisite to have done an SFG cert to do the SFB cert?

Regards Tommy.

Hello Tommy,

Pistol: Calf foam rolling, calf stretches (stay longer in the stretch, as it takes time), as well as other stretches (see below). Also, I would focus on correct bracing be before you descend, reaching forward with your hands, sitting back, and actively pulling yourself down to the hole. Re-read The Naked Warrior instructions again and again - what sometimes seems to be a mobility problem is actually weakness.

You can continue to work on your pistol strength with elevation, or light counterweight indoor hands, bud work diligently on your mobility and flexibility. The aim is both to be able to the pistol without any counter weight or heel elevation, and practice pistol with extra weight.

One arm/one leg push ups: Follow the GTG method (ie. wave the load), and focus on easier versions for some time, in your case one arm pushups. After few weeks,try the one arm/one leg push ups again.

SFG/SFB: No, you don't have to be SFG to do the SFB cert. SFB cert or one day SFB course is highly recommended - eg. the pistol section covers lot of very useful mobility/flexibility drills (ankle complex, hamstring stretch, calf stretch, cossack stretch, hip flexor stretch).

Just saw this excellent tip form Steve Friedes in another thread, so listen to Steve (quote):

Same with the vertical shin cue for pistols – you will engage the hips and hamstrings in ways you might not think you need to otherwise, and you will be both safer and stronger in the bottom position.

...my favorite pistol cue is similar – it’s “lengthen your thigh” as you lower. It’s along the lines of imagining you are pressing both up and down from your elbow in a military press – it makes all kinds of good things happen. I don’t know from whom I learned this one or if I thought of it myself but it works very well for me.

Kelly Starett covered some positions and restrictions recently and one of them was the pistol

I found for me, my restriction is my ankle and dorsoflexion.

Pistol Archetype Day 1

https://www.facebook.com/155425314471727/videos/vb.155425314471727/1108755859138663/?type=2&theater

Pistol Archetype Day 2

https://www.facebook.com/155425314471727/videos/vb.155425314471727/1109198352427747/?type=2&theater

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom