all posts post new thread

PlanStrong/BuiltStrong Plan Strong for powerlifting?

silveraw

Level 9 Valued Member
I've seen a lot of people using plan strong for single lift focus and non strength sports, but I'm curious if anyone is successfully using plan strong for strength sports?

the volume on Plan Strong gets a little crazy, I've completed cycles with two exercises but I don't know if I could have done three

the volume on Plan Strong gets a little crazy, I've completed cycles with two exercises but I don't know if I could have done three
Thanks for the reply.
That is kind of what I saw with the single lift programs. Seems like random days are 2+ hours in the gym on just one lift. Was wondering if there was some variations people worked out for three lift programming.

Although many use Plan Strong for a single lift, such as the kettlebell military press for the SFG II strength test, or the Deadlift for the TSC, many doi it for multiple lifts, such as those who train for the Beast Tamer or the Iron Maiden Challenge, or for powerlifting meets.

I have personally followed Plan Strong Plans for up to six lifts, even though my average is four lifts. And I have successfully trained several competitive powerlifters with Plan Strong.

Planning 4-6 lifts requires that one has time to devote to training, but is definitely doable. Three lifts is something that most can handle. This of course as long ad one manages sapliently the volumes and the variants month by month.

Our Plan Strong Custom plans designing team to date has designed a total of 1,408 plans, 45% of which are for three or more lifts.

I hope this helps.

Although many use Plan Strong for a single lift, such as the kettlebell military press for the SFG II strength test, or the Deadlift for the TSC, many doi it for multiple lifts, such as those who train for the Beast Tamer or the Iron Maiden Challenge, or for powerlifting meets.

I have personally followed Plan Strong Plans for up to six lifts, even though my average is four lifts. And I have successfully trained several competitive powerlifters with Plan Strong.

Planning 4-6 lifts requires that one has time to devote to training, but is definitely doable. Three lifts is something that most can handle. This of course as long ad one manages sapliently the volumes and the variants month by month.

Our Plan Strong Custom plans designing team to date has designed a total of 1,408 plans, 45% of which are for three or more lifts.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the response. When you say "time to devote to training" are we talking like 2 hours in the gym every once in a while or a part time job near a barbell?

A once a month 2 hour session is doable, but higher frequency might be a problem

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. When you say "time to devote to training" are we talking like 2 hours in the gym every once in a while or a part time job near a barbell?

A once a month 2 hour session is doable, but higher frequency might be a problem
When I trained 6 lifts it lead me to train 1h30'-2h four times/week.
With 3-4 lifts and using PS70 it is possible to drop down to 1h-1h30' three times/week.
The durations of the sessions varies form week to week and session to session due to the waveing of the volume which is typical of Plan Strong

I hope this helps

I've seen a lot of people using plan strong for single lift focus and non strength sports, but I'm curious if anyone is successfully using plan strong for strength sports?
In PS programs I've written for my wife, I have dialed the total number of lifts back below the usual recommendations and she's still gotten good results. (I don't recall the particulars, sorry, it was a few years ago.)

-S-

I do this, Plan Strong works very well. The routine I follow is a 5/3/1 rep scheme. This involves training with 5 reps in the first week, reducing to 3 reps in the second week, and reducing to just 1 rep in the third week. In the fourth week, you will repeat this process.

I have done 4 lifts before and since you can usually combine the lifts in a single session it can take about 45 minutes for two lifts on a heavy day and as little as 20 minutes on a easy day. For example, you perform a set of bench press and set a timer for 5 minutes rest but in the mean time perform a set of squats. Rotate the sets until you are finished. You can significantly cut down the training time using this method. I will say that when the set are heavy for example some times I would just do the exercises separately because a heavy set of military press followed by a heavy set of dead lifts can get challenging. But if you get a good nights rest and feel up to it then you could mash the two together to cut back on time. Typically what I did before was have like all four lifts planned on the same day but I think they were all light days for those lifts. Then on the other days you could do only two of the lifts on the other days to get in all the sessions. It is more training than a minimalist protocol but I always tried to get the sessions down in an hour and they do not take special recovery methods to be good for the next training day.

When I trained 6 lifts it lead me to train 1h30'-2h four times/week.
With 3-4 lifts and using PS70 it is possible to drop down to 1h-1h30' three times/week.
The durations of the sessions varies form week to week and session to session due to the waveing of the volume which is typical of Plan Strong

I hope this helps
Thanks that helps immensely.

Back
Top Bottom