all posts post new thread

Old Forum Planks (and variations) are good...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jason Paul

Level 3 Valued Member
I've heard Dan John refer to the core as a "chain link", meaning that whole area connects the shoulders and hips together (four knots: two shoulders, two hips) like a strong but flexible chain link. Planks and these variations really bring that analogy home for me.

First of course, are just standard planks. The top position of a pushup is basic and fairly easy - drop down to the knees to make it even easier.

On the elbows, in a "praying position", thumbs at about eye level. This position causes your upper body to pull downward, toward your lower body, almost like a crunch, but more useful.

Top position of a one-arm pushup. You might need to spread your legs a little wider. This position begins to give the "chain link" effect.

Top position of one-arm, one-leg pushup. This one really shows the "chain link", because your body wants to twist.

I have also tried them on one elbow, but only a couple of times.

All of these can be made easier or harder by adjusting leverage by raising or lowering your upper or lower body, or doing them from the knees. Or by adjusting stability by moving your hands or feet closer together or farther apart, or moving the hands upward.

When doing these, I've found them easier to hold by engaging other muscles (thighs, glutes, lats, etc.), as many of Pavel's books teach. This makes the whole body stiffer, and easier to balance and control.

I've been doing these variations practically every day and am really liking them. I feel like they are building some good core/chain link strength.

Also, by actually doing planks, I'm beginning to "get" how to use that feeling at the top of my swings. Learning how to stiffen the whole body while in a plank position (tensing thighs, glutes, abs, lats, etc.) is helping to power up the snap in my swings, and feel stronger in the top position.

Pavel,

Could I suggest revising the description of the body weight course to include more about this?  When I read the description currently posted, I don't think I would know that planks and variations would be covered.  I would be more tempted to go to a body weight course if the description was more descriptive.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom