all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Please review my swing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dean

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello - first post here. I have uploaded a video that shows me performing a set of kettlebell swings. I am finding that I experience some stiffness in the lower back after a training session, so any comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dean

Dean,
Looks pretty good overall.

Biggest thing is to finish tall (you are currently rather flexed down at the neck).
How tall are you?

Be at least that tall at the finish of your swing.

Yes, I'll add to that, brace your abs hard at the top of the swing like you're about to get punched in the stomach.

And swing a heavier bell :)

Thanks for the feedback Brett and Anna. I suspect that my neck is in flexion at the top of the swing because I am watching the kettlebell during the downswing in order to ensure that I am not hinging until the kettlebell is about to hit the groin area.

Do you have any tips on how I can ensure that I'm not hinging too early without watching the kettlebell? Perhaps wait until the upper arms make contact with the torso?

Thanks.
Dean

Do you have any tips on how I can ensure that I'm not hinging too early without watching the kettlebell? Perhaps wait until the upper arms make contact with the torso?

Yes, that generally works. Or just focus on holding the plank.

I think it's helpful to drill it in slow motion without a kettlebell -- from hinge with arms back, snap to plank and let the arms rise (assisting a bit to simulate kettlebell rising), pause, let the arms start to fall (resisting a bit for the slow-mo effect), hinge. Practice that a few times before your swings.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom