all posts post new thread

Old Forum PM swings portion: what is your focus?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kbkris

Level 2 Valued Member
Just out of curiosity: when you do your swings during the PM do you focus more on high reps with lower weight or less reps with a higher rate?  I normally use the 1.5 pood alternating hands but today I used the 1 pood and it felt like a toy in my hand but still fun.

I look forward to reading your replies.

both! I do as many sets of 10 reps as I can.  Once I get about 250 in twenty minutes I use a heavier kettlebell.

What's your goal? That influences the response pretty heavily.

Weight loss and cardiovascular improve my first. I wouldnt mind a little hyper trophy but I have a decen muscular base right now.

I find that 2 hand swings work your grip harder.  Use the 24 and increase your quality reps.  So once you've mastered 20 reps, do 25, then 30 and work your way up.

When I do swings, I like using a heavy weight.  Last week, I did the swing portion of the PM for a finisher with an 88.  Did 15 swings at the top of each minute for 12 minutes.

Kris,

I had a similar problem to yours. I was using a 55 lb KB for two handed swings and a 35 for one hand swings. I went to the Athletic store and tried a 45 lb bell and it was perfect. I've been using it for the last week and I use it for one and two hand swings and it's heavy enough to feel it but not so heavy it gets away from me or that I can't work on my form. I noticed It works my abs more.

I think the 55 lb was to heavy. I could swing it but I was not able to really focus on my form. The 35 was to light so my body did not recruit enough muscle in the lift to really feel it. The 45 solved the problem. I am loving doing the swings now and can really feel it working. I can still use my 55 for two hand swings but the 45 is fine as well. You may want to try the 1.25 pood bell and it might solve the problem.

I can swing the 1.5 just fine. I haven't gotten the big numbers like 40+ before putting the bell down to do a lap. I just remember reading in ETK about doing swings into the hundreds. Does anyone do high rep sets (like 30 or more) between the recovery laps?  I used the 1 pood yesterday. I got 240 reps doing alternating swings. I did 15 minutes.

i think I'll alternate between the 1 and 1.5 for a while. I was using the 2 pood but that was really hurting in a bad way.

I was trying to work up to 12 min of continuous with the swings, and then read the SFG prep protocol of 10min, 20 swings at top of minute. Start with 20 dbl swings, start adding one hand and taking away two hand until its 10 left + 10 right every minute, for 10 min.

I like this a bunch, and I've worked up to 24kg with this protocol, doing after the C&P in the ROP. Feels to me a good mix of heavy and highish reps.

Yesterday I did 10 one-hand swings on the minute, the next minute I switched hands, for 12 minutes and 120 total. It was the first time I have ever tried that with the 32, it was a whole new thing for me... My suggestion is to go relatively heavy as long as your form allows. 10 is a good number, stop when your form deteriorates significantly and don't overthink it.

In my opinion, heavier bells do more for me and my goals (which is progressing towards a 48) than simply repping out on the lighter bells. Warrior diet and/or Intermittent fasting should take care of your body composition if that's your goal.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom