all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Polar H10 - What Activity To Choose For Kettlebell Strength/Endurance Work?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
I choose "aerobics" because I didn't find anything that said "kettlebells."

-S-

I use circuit because I think it better represents the load demand and associated recovery time if tracking everything in the flow site. Strength doesn't register much load demand (I don't know who they used to calculate that model).

Is there any underlying difference in how it measures or displays the HR? My impression was it’s just “cosmetic”.

Is there any underlying difference in how it measures or displays the HR? My impression was it’s just “cosmetic”.

I don't think there is. I think it only matters if you're using it for "recovery" tracking or some sort of totals or other statistics.

I would suppose heart rate is heart rate no matter what type of activity one is doing.

The only difference in between sport types is when you have additional sensors, e.g. GPS (running, cycling, ...), or that foot sensor.

So it seems the gadget records your heart rate, and that hundred or so different choices we're presented with is merely to save us from having to type in what we're doing. It would be great if we could add our own "titles" to the list.

-S-

So it seems the gadget records your heart rate, and that hundred or so different choices we're presented with is merely to save us from having to type in what we're doing. It would be great if we could add our own "titles" to the list.

-S-

I think there are some kind of feedback tools for certain type of activities, such as running. And the calorie count might be different regarding your activity. But other than that there seems to be no difference.

curious... I'm new to using these things and I should have asked back at the store...
I'm using the Polar Beat app, is there a way to set a minimum HR alert? eg if I rest to 110 start my next set of swings?

U
curious... I'm new to using these things and I should have asked back at the store...
I'm using the Polar Beat app, is there a way to set a minimum HR alert? eg if I rest to 110 start my next set of swings?
Unfortunately not. Maybe the available upgrades cover this (like "energy pointer"). I am afraid however that they are more generic and don't allow a manual low HR alert setting.

U
Unfortunately not. Maybe the available upgrades cover this (like "energy pointer"). I am afraid however that they are more generic and don't allow a manual low HR alert setting.

Good enough. Used it now for two S&S session and even without the alerts it does a fine job. Enter a new level of training!!!

I choose "aerobics" because I didn't find anything that said "kettlebells."

-S-
I chose 'other indoor' cuz it's right there when I open the app.. AFAIK it records HR only or HR and uses phone gps for distance/location recording depending on your choice.. the rest is fluff I think.

The sport profiles only make a difference for calculating load demand and associated recovery. It doesn't make a difference for calculating anything with the heart rate or activity tracking though.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom