all posts post new thread

Barbell Power rack for squatting

Abdul-Rasheed

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello everyone,

I've been away, and back after awhile. As part of setting up a garage gym at my home, I am looking for a power rack for squatting. Your recommendations?

Thanks,
Abdul

Hello everyone,

I've been away, and back after awhile. As part of setting up a garage gym at my home, I am looking for a power rack for squatting. Your recommendations?

Thanks,
Abdul
Titan makes a very nice affordable power rack. Rogue makes a very nice power rack. Another option, from either company, are squat stands - less safe, some limitations, but significantly cheaper.

There are lots of good ones out there and you don't need super heavy duty institutional quality or features for most purposes (although it's cool if you can afford it). Mine is an old Parabody rack made for home use (2x2 uprights, 2x3 base, 11 gauge steel, round bar safety pins), but it's served me for 30 years and handled anything I've needed it for.

Biggest thing you have to decide is whether you need a freestanding rack or will anchor it to the floor or to a platform. Most racks are designed for one or the other.

@Abdul-Rasheed, nice to see you here - been a while.

I have the Titan T3 rack @John K gives a link to and I'm very happy with it. I was able to get mine second-hand. I squat, however, using squat stands and only use my power rack for bench pressing.

I squat light enough and upright enough that, if a squat fails - I think it's happened to me only once in the last several years, but one needs to know how to get out of it nonetheless - I can dump the bar behind me, and that's what I did on the failed rep I'm remembering. And FWIW, my squat training methodology is to focus on my front squat most of the time, and those you can definitely dump in front of you without need a rack or safeties.

Here - https://www.titan.fitness/racks/squat-stands/t-3-series/t-3-series-short-squat-stand/400925.html - you'll find safety arms as an optional extra towards the bottom of the page. Squat stands can be free-standing or connected. I have the free-standing kind and no safety arms.

Top-of-the-line squat stands with safety bars: Prestera Squat Rack | Eleiko

-S-

I use independent squat stands instead of a power rack.

It works great with bumper plates as I can ditch lifts just by dumping the bar.

But if you're using iron plates you probably want the safeties of a power rack.

My floor is covered in deadlift mats so that I can drop iron plates.

-S-

I'm not worried about the floor (I have a platform) -- I'm worried about wear and tear on expensive barbells.

Ultimately, it's your gear, but I prefer bumpers if I'm ditching lifts from squat height.

But that's also because I do it all the time (along with ditching snatches and jerks) so the cumulative stress is a lot.

And 3 out of my 4 barbells use bearings, which are more fragile than bushings.

Last edited:
Titan makes a very nice affordable power rack.

Titan Power Rack

Titan has some nice, simply Racks.

Of the issue with the one below is that it needs to be bolted to the floor.

"Titan recommends bolting down your rack for added stability."

401246_01.jpg

you have to decide is whether you need a freestanding rack or will anchor it to the floor or to a platform.
Bolting It To The Floor

As per Steve, Do you really want to bolt one to the floor?

There are some other Titan Power Racks on the page link below it that don't have to be bolted.

Free Stamding Titan Power Rack

This one does not need to be bolted to the floor.

401080_04.jpg

Another option ...are squat stands

Squat Stands vs Power Rack

A Power Rack provide more beneifts.

It allows you to perform Partial Range Movement to work your Sticking Point in a Movement.

Scrape the Rack

Scrape The Rack For Growth 5 Muscle-Building Exercises
Scrape The Rack For Growth

Chris Thibaudeau, one of the best Strength Coaches, goes into the benefits of Scrape The Rack Training.

Scrape The Rack elicits a Training Effect that is essentially like a Smith Machine.

Doing so, allows you to place a greater workload on the Primary Muscles in a Movement. It takes the Stabilizer Muscles out of the equation.

The greater the Statility of a Movement, the more the Primary Muscles are activated in a Movement

That is one of the benefits of a Leg Press and why Bodybuilders gravitate to it. They are able maximize Leg Mass; overload the Quads and Glutes.

Stabilizer Muscles

The Stabilizer Muscles are overloaded with Unstable Movements that require more balance.

Exercises such as: Dumbbells, Step Up Squats, Pistol Squats, Single Leg Deadlift with something like a Kettlebell, etc.

Heavy Scrape The Rack Good Mornings

One of my favorite Deadlift Auxiliary Exercises are Heavy Scrape The Rack Good Mornings.

Scraping The Rack in the Good Morning allows me to overload the Primary Posterior Chain Muscles to a much greater degree.

I follow it with a Traditional Free Weight Moderately Heavy Power Good Morning with Bands attached to the Bar.

Attaching Band or Chain to a Bar Movement elicits greater Stabilize Muscle Involvement; due to the instability produced by the Bands and/or Chains in the movement.

Reverse Banded Power Rack Exercises

One of the issue with all Exercise Movements is that only 30% the Muscles are Overloaded.

The remaining 70% of the Exericise Movement is UnderLoaded. Strength and Size are optimized when the muscle are OverLoaded.

A Power Rack allow you to anchor Bands to the top of the Rack and then attach them to the bar. As you descend down the load is decrease, where you are in the weaker position.

As you ascent, the Bands increase the loading in the top part of the Movement,where you are stronger.

This method ensures that you OverLoad the Muscles In The Movement through a much greater Range of The Movement

As per the research...

Variable Resistance Exercise: A Biomechanical Approach To Muscular Training
Dr Gideon B Ariel, PhD

The Variable Resistance Concept

In conventional resistance exercise, the loads are moved through a range of motion. The load remains constant throughout the motion but the muscular force is not constant because of the modifying effects of the lever system throughout the range of motion. (Figure 4)

...the bench press and squat exercises revealed that the muscular force is at its greatest potential in only 30 percent of the stroke. This fact demonstrates the vast waste found in traditional weight regimes since 70 percent of the exercise is relatively useless.

To facilitate maximum muscular involvement, it is necessary to vary the resistance.

Isometrics And Functional Isometrics

Isometrics and Functional Isomterics can be performed in a Power Rack with a slight modification.

With Isometric and Functional Isometric Actions, you are able to produce full out Maximal Force for a few seconds, which produces increased Maximum Strength.

I'm not worried about the floor (I have a platform) -- I'm worried about wear and tear on expensive barbells.

Ultimately, it's your gear, but I prefer bumpers if I'm ditching lifts from squat height.

But that's also because I do it all the time (along with ditching snatches and jerks) so the cumulative stress is a lot.

And 3 out of my 4 barbells use bearings, which are more fragile than bushings.
I should have been more clear. I own and use bumper plates for my Olympic lifting. I have 3/4" deadlift mats on my home gym floor for those rare times when a lift doesn't go as it should. And FWIW, at the light weights I'm using for Olympic lifting, and because I'm still mostly working on cleans and front squats, I don't often drop mine - I'll clean from some sort of hang, and then just drop the bar to arms length, reset my grip with the bar sort of in the crease of my hips, and go back at it again. I start and finish a set like this with the bar on my squat stands.

There are some other Titan Power Racks on the page link below it that don't have to be bolted.

I bought mine used. The previous owner didn't bolt it to the floor, and neither did I, and it works fine sitting on my home gym flooring which is all 3/4" DL mats. It doesn't move. I use the rack for plate storage as well, and I suspect that helps keep it in once spot. I think the previous owner had it in a garage on a concrete floor, and it was/is none the worse for wear.

You can see the little "feet" which you're supposed to use for bolting it down - that's what mine has, and perhaps those helps it stay put, too, because of the additional surface area in contact with the floor. You'll also see on Titan's website an option for the plate holders, again those are what I have.

-S-

What is your budget? How much do you squat? What are your goals?

Fwiw, I have a Titan T-2 power rack and a CAP barbell pull-up bar/squat stand. I love both. I wouldn't trust the CAP squat stand with anything more than 315lb but it doesn't take much space and is ridiculously affordable.

Apologies to everyone for not responding earlier.

Adding a bit of context. I am coming back to training after a couple of years. I have decided to set up a home gym for the use of family. Kids have grown up and they could use a spot to train as well.

Titan makes a very nice affordable power rack. Rogue makes a very nice power rack. Another option, from either company, are squat stands - less safe, some limitations, but significantly cheaper.

Thank you for your input and those two links. I already have a squat stand and it is flimsy, and I have used it in the past for military press. But I am scared to do squats using it. Definitely I am getting one off those two.

There are lots of good ones out there and you don't need super heavy duty institutional quality or features for most purposes (although it's cool if you can afford it). Mine is an old Parabody rack made for home use (2x2 uprights, 2x3 base, 11 gauge steel, round bar safety pins), but it's served me for 30 years and handled anything I've needed it for.

Biggest thing you have to decide is whether you need a freestanding rack or will anchor it to the floor or to a platform. Most racks are designed for one or the other.
I don't need institutional quality. But I need good quality that lasts a while. I will probably prefer freestanding. Thanks for your feedback, and nice to hear your words again.

@Abdul-Rasheed, nice to see you here - been a while.
Thank you! Nice to be back. Hope you are well Steve.

I have the Titan T3 rack @John K gives a link to and I'm very happy with it. I was able to get mine second-hand. I squat, however, using squat stands and only use my power rack for bench pressing.
I have squat stand and its not good quality; I am setting up a home gym, so I was thinking of getting a power rack for along time. I will look at the Titan rack you use.

Titan Power Rack

Titan has some nice, simply Racks.

Of the issue with the one below is that it needs to be bolted to the floor.

"Titan recommends bolting down your rack for added stability."

401246_01.jpg

Bolting It To The Floor

Free Stamding Titan Power Rack

This one does not need to be bolted to the floor.

401080_04.jpg

Squat Stands vs Power Rack

A Power Rack provide more beneifts.

It allows you to perform Partial Range Movement to work your Sticking Point in a Movement.

Scrape the Rack

Scrape The Rack For Growth 5 Muscle-Building Exercises
Scrape The Rack For Growth

Chris Thibaudeau, one of the best Strength Coaches, goes into the benefits of Scrape The Rack Training.

Scrape The Rack elicits a Training Effect that is essentially like a Smith Machine.

Doing so, allows you to place a greater workload on the Primary Muscles in a Movement. It takes the Stabilizer Muscles out of the equation.

The greater the Statility of a Movement, the more the Primary Muscles are activated in a Movement

That is one of the benefits of a Leg Press and why Bodybuilders gravitate to it. They are able maximize Leg Mass; overload the Quads and Glutes.

Stabilizer Muscles

The Stabilizer Muscles are overloaded with Unstable Movements that require more balance.

Exercises such as: Dumbbells, Step Up Squats, Pistol Squats, Single Leg Deadlift with something like a Kettlebell, etc.

Heavy Scrape The Rack Good Mornings

One of my favorite Deadlift Auxiliary Exercises are Heavy Scrape The Rack Good Mornings.

Scraping The Rack in the Good Morning allows me to overload the Primary Posterior Chain Muscles to a much greater degree.

I follow it with a Traditional Free Weight Moderately Heavy Power Good Morning with Bands attached to the Bar.

Attaching Band or Chain to a Bar Movement elicits greater Stabilize Muscle Involvement; due to the instability produced by the Bands and/or Chains in the movement.

Reverse Banded Power Rack Exercises

One of the issue with all Exercise Movements is that only 30% the Muscles are Overloaded.

The remaining 70% of the Exericise Movement is UnderLoaded. Strength and Size are optimized when the muscle are OverLoaded.

A Power Rack allow you to anchor Bands to the top of the Rack and then attach them to the bar. As you descend down the load is decrease, where you are in the weaker position.

As you ascent, the Bands increase the loading in the top part of the Movement,where you are stronger.

This method ensures that you OverLoad the Muscles In The Movement through a much greater Range of The Movement

As per the research...

Variable Resistance Exercise: A Biomechanical Approach To Muscular Training
Dr Gideon B Ariel, PhD

The Variable Resistance Concept

In conventional resistance exercise, the loads are moved through a range of motion. The load remains constant throughout the motion but the muscular force is not constant because of the modifying effects of the lever system throughout the range of motion. (Figure 4)

...the bench press and squat exercises revealed that the muscular force is at its greatest potential in only 30 percent of the stroke. This fact demonstrates the vast waste found in traditional weight regimes since 70 percent of the exercise is relatively useless.

To facilitate maximum muscular involvement, it is necessary to vary the resistance.

Isometrics And Functional Isometrics

Isometrics and Functional Isomterics can be performed in a Power Rack with a slight modification.

With Isometric and Functional Isometric Actions, you are able to produce full out Maximal Force for a few seconds, which produces increased Maximum Strength.

Great information elaborate response as always! Thank you so much.. I will have to read this again.

I use independent squat stands instead of a power rack.

It works great with bumper plates as I can ditch lifts just by dumping the bar.

But if you're using iron plates you probably want the safeties of a power rack.
I have iron plates, yeah I agree. My squat stand that I have right now (mostly used for military presses) is not strong enough.

What is your budget? How much do you squat? What are your goals?

Fwiw, I have a Titan T-2 power rack and a CAP barbell pull-up bar/squat stand. I love both. I wouldn't trust the CAP squat stand with anything more than 315lb but it doesn't take much space and is ridiculously affordable.
I am not constrained by budget. I am newbie when it comes to lifting so, my weights aren't that high :p..

Bells of steel just released their Hydra line of racks which are 3x3” with 5/8” holes, so they are compatible with Rogue Monster Light, Titan X3, and most other brand accessories. They have tons of options and you can buy every piece separate so you can essentially build any rack you can think of. Their prices also include shipping, and their quality is quite good (not the best, but better than Titan).

The easy measure of a rack is how thick and heavy it is. Something like 3mm of steel is great.

I would make sure to get a standard width rack so that you can easily use different specialty bars.

I would also recommend the rack to have narrower whole spacing, like what Rogue calls westside spacing, so you can fine tune pin height for both safety and different exercises.

I like band pegs, so I would make sure those are available.

Some racks can be combined with a pulley. I like it. However, that way you can't typically lift at that end of the rack. Whether that's a problem or not, depends on your preferences.

When it comes to safeties consider straps instead of pins.

Back
Top Bottom