all posts post new thread

Power to the People: A journey

SebastianLing

First Post
Good day to you all out there,

This is my first post on StrongFirst. I would like to share my experience with PTTP training while working full time as a doctor. I would classify myself as an intermediate level of powerlifting. My best bench press and deadlifts before starting the PTTP was 90 kg and 160 kg (with weightlifting belt, shoes and gear) at a weight of 85kg. I have done Jim Wendler's 531 primarily and although it is an excellent programme, my squat technique was horrible and I had problems with my knees. I remembered reading about PTTP so I bought Mr Tsatsouline's book on my Kindle. I read and re-read it and was not entirely convinced of it until I tried it myself. I had access to a bench press so I swapped out the side press with the bench press, but alternated with the floor press. I picked the conventional deadlift style as it felt the most natural for me. I started on my 10 rep max for both workouts and gradually increase the weight according to the book, I followed a flexible wave of cycling, listening to my body as a guide. My cycles were around 10-12 workouts. Based on my logs I was on this for 3 months.

What happened was something I would have never imagined myself achieving. On my last cycle, I managed a 170 kg deadlift for 5 reps without any gear at all (I did use chalk), I was 1 rep short of a 100kg for 5 reps. The day before I took my 2 week holiday, I decided to test my deadlift 1 rep max. I pulled a 190kg. I know many other comrades who have more impressive numbers than mine.

The point of this post is not to boast, but to share with you that the program works if one focuses on the two tasks, the press and the pull, listening to your own body and cutting out what is unnecessary. I had a gym bro come up to me after I did my 170kg deadlift for 5 reps (he was way bigger than me) asking me why I only do deadlifts and bench presses (without shoes). I just advised him, Power to the People. Now my goal is the Rite of Passage and I hope to be able to pass the snatch and clean and press targets at the same time doing the deadlifts on my variety day.

Power to the people is an amazing teacher of building tension and learning how to grind. I had similar results with deadlift and kb military press.

10/10, would do again

Back
Top Bottom