all posts post new thread

Old Forum power to the people good for mma?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

lokate

Level 4 Valued Member
i am a martial artist and have surched  a long time for a good solid strenght routine.

i dont have hours a day to train so when i train i want to use that time for training martial arts. to me a'simple workout would be great, but would it be enough?

Have you read Easy Strength? In it Dan John highlights a program for MMA using the PTTP template. Now I'm not a fighter, and I haven't trained fighters using PTTP, but I would recommend it, for sure, for what it's worth.

Wim you are starting to be a little like a troll with the same repetitive question over and over. You pop up in most interesting threads and ask the same question about what might be good for a martial artist. Have you yet trained any of the recommended plans you have seen or been given for more than month without deviation? If not, start there.

As a martial artist you should well know about the importance of actually training.  Pick a program, PTTP, Easy Strength, the recend Dan John one you spoke up in, the one that I told you is successful at my MA club, the PM, or any other one that doesn't have too many components and train it.

All the theory in the world doesn't mean sh#t if you don't do the work.

Hey Richard, yuo are right, I havent stick to any programm for so long. I know I have to.

Its just that I have practice martial arts for 35 years now, so I know how to train martial arts.

But then I read all these forums on Internet about supplementary training, strengthtraniing etc. I never have done that, just the normal push-ups, pull-ups etc.

Deep in my heart I know I am a good martial artist true all my years off training, maybay I dont need all these supplementary training and just do what I always have done, train martial arts hard, do some push-ups, pull-ups, dips and run sprints a few times a week.

I just have to stop surching for the magic routine. I appriciated it that you are so direct.

With all the information out there it can be difficult. How many times people come back to this forum asking questions running back and forth like headless chickens. I used to be the same.

Getups, swings and Goblet squats is all you need mate, 2 times a week, so strength training doesnt compromise your sport. Go as heavy as possible, but progress slowly and safely.  Believe that will keep you going along time and its all you need! :)

hello aaron, yes i think i am not unique in this. the problem for me is that if i see a new routine then i want to try it. and most of the times i am busy just doiing these workouts.

but most of them arent for mma but just to build muscle or getting strong fast.

its quit different when martia arts is your gaeme because you need most of the time to trqin martial arts. and whe you have a full time job, family etc. its hard to do. thanks for understanding.

Hey man, I train for martial arts as well and I am a big fan of the PM for this purpose.  It works well and doesn't sap my energy much.  A bit hard getting started on the PM/PTTP two week cycles, found the barbell took just a little bit more out of me but I think that's just adapting to a new stimulus.  I just wanted to share the way I keep away the exercise ADD.  Just make a mental note for the future and use it as a guide to drive you forwards consistently.  What I mean is I read Dan John's 10k swing piece and rather than doing something stupid like saying " Neato! Dan John says I should do 10k swings...I'll do that!" I think "Well, there's something I can keep tucked away for a year or two from now if I start to find my PM/PTTP progress slowing down a bit.  Great!  Now I already know what to do when I run into difficultes!"  If you come across a cool new program, think about how it fits into your overall plan for progression and then identify where in your training life cycle it may come in handy and then file it away for the future (and bookmark it!)  This serves two purposes.  First, it allows you to still mentally fantasize about how awesome said new training program is going to be without screwing up your current (hopefully very productive) training modality.  And let's be honest, most training ADD is at root linked to fantasy - "Oh!  That's the one! This one is going to make me the Hulk in two weeks!" A belief you can entertain for two weeks before reality sets in and you either hunker down and grind it out or else just switch again to a new fantasy.  Second, it is a good mental exercise for training the mind to understand the purpose and nature of training.  If every time you come across a program you stop saying "YES PLEASE!" and instead ask "Where, if anywhere, would this suit my needs and goals?" then you're turning potential distraction into a good mental workout for your training-discernment organs.  That's where I'm at as a newbie as well...usually I think about doing something and come to the conclusion it has no place in my training regime (hypertrophy stuff, PL-geared stuff) but then sometimes I can envision a place for certain programs (10k swings) and now I know that if I start feeling I'm plateau-ing in a year or two and I use up the readily available weapons of waviness or something like that I have some backup solutions already at hand.  Just a thought.

hello charles, wow what a great answer. i have read it carefully and it makes a lott of sense.

i have read before that the pm would be great for martial artist but i thought it was to simple and not focusing to much on strenght.

cycling with two weeks of ptp seems a gkreat plan.cc

i wil take your advice and give the pm a big start again, the reason i havent done that before is because i have read that you have to train your strenght on seperate days and do conditioningwith your martial'arts training.

but as i said before, i read way to much. i will start with the pm and work'from there and stick to it for a period of time to see if that routine will work for me.

by the way, what are your results? just /

curious. and what kind off martial arts do you do?

by the way, ptp is five days a'week and'the pm three times a wek, isnt?

thanks again for reacting.

sticking to the program is the chalenge..

wim, are you aiming to build more strength overall to complement your mma or are you prepping for a fight?

Wim,

Glad you found my post useful.  I think there is some value in newbie-circle advice because quite frankly since so many guys on here are focused mainly on strength to the exclusion of all other qualities (as opposed to merely as a foundation) and have put so much more time in, you can quickly get overwhelmed by some of the posts.  At least I do.

I practice an eclectic set of methods that all run along the same kind of internal/tension control lines - taiji, baji, systema are my mainstays.  As for results, I can't really speak in terms of poundage since I only recently started the Easy Strength PTTP/PM program and have really been milking the PM but I went from struggling to press a 20k bell in late March to pressing a 32 a few weeks ago.  That's pretty much only from PM training.  The biggest results I found though were simply in athletic performance.  I'm not really impressed by my numbers but whether they translate to the way I actually move and the PM did not let me down (and the PTTP addition seems to be kicking it up even better.)  I have more sophisticated control of my joints when doing groundwork - muscles that were previously hypotonic from work and bad-training related motor programs are "waking up" and getting strong and working with the whole.  I can strike better, more comfortably from any position, have ridiculously improved "bounce" and connection between my soles and my hands.  Things like my lunging jab improved drastically....it just became a different movement with much more spring to it.  That and I've already posted that in my paramedic fitness training I'm up there leading the pack in the running stuff despite that I have a bum heel and NEVER run.  I had another test the other day that involves 20 mins nonstop of stair sprinting.  Part of my performance is conditioning, but a lot of it is just having good springs in my legs from the kb work.  I can definitely tell my new strength is carrying me along really well in what I do now.

In short - I got better at everything I do and only occasionally was my training compromised by strength-training related fatigue.  And less and less as I progress.  I honestly didn't believe these guys when I first started this training, in my bodybuilding-culture view of strength training I couldn't see how this kind of training could be both beneficial in a global sense and not counterproductive for other skills but it is.  It works if you stick to the program and take your sweet aunt jemima time.  Just take a hygienic approach to it.  Its something you have to do like brushing your teeth.  Not sexy, no super-fast results, but you just kinda do it with a bored look on your face, keeping an eye on the relevant times for sets and rest periods, track your weight and get on with your life.  Just don't think about it, don't get excited, don't make up fantasies, just do it like any other life routine and save your creative, explorative energy for your martial arts training.  Thats how I approach it and I'm very pleased with the results.

As for the PTTP cycle i don't know what the standard is supposed to be...I just keep it simple like i do the PM.  I do:

Day 1 - DL

Day 2 - BP

Day 3 - Rest

And repeat ad infinitum, often with Sunday also being a day of rest since my schooling is fairly physically demanding with a fair amount of heavy lifting in the practical lab.  Honestly man, just get it into a routine and let yourself be bored but just keep doing it until it just becomes something you just do and don't think about much.  I don't know if you know Moshe Feldenkrais but the man was a good Judoka and master of movement and he hit the nail on the head when he basically said that if something isn't easy to do then eventually you'll stop doing it because the organism seeks the path of least resistance.  So make it easy and get on with life and in a few months you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Hey Guys, thank yuo very much, it seems like both of you have the same idea's about simple training, I like that.

You guys talk about Easy strength a modified routine, I have that book to, but were can I find that routine?

Another question, you talk about PM a lott and I think its great to, but when you read the book or forums (again :) then you read to do i6-8 weeks PM so after that you can do the ROP. Do you just the PM for months orso?

Last question, for now, if I want to use the switch system of 2 weeks PM and 2 weeks PTTP, I have a total weight of about 130 kilo. Off course right now its already hard to deadlift 110 kilo for 5 reps, but I suppose that when you are a few months futher its has to be easy to do 130 kilo for 5 reps. Is there another option then just to buy more weights? I mean maybay use the clean & press or s it better to stick to the deadlift and buy weights?

Its true, there a re a lott of people on all kind of forums that are busy writing workouts wereby you do 8 exercises, sometimes more, 3-4 times a week for a hour or more.

I dont think these guys have time to train their martial arts and if so, maybay they were better of when the use at least the half of that time to getting better in it.

I always fall on the name off the workous, its a bad habit but still after all my years of martial arts training when I see a routine with the name: The Ultimate Warrior workout, then I have to do it and ask etc.

Same with all these routines that seems to be fashion orso (dont know how to explain it), it started with barbell, dumbell, then kettlebells, then bodyweight, then sandbags and so on.

Every few months it seems there is another hype, and I am very stupid about that.

Thanks again guys, feels good to know that there are still people who can understand my problem because I know it is a big problem.

I have to put more time on my martial arts training again and keep the rest simple, thanks again.

Hey Wim,

You got some great responses here.  The key thing is sticking with something.  Pick a program or approach that you think will not take away from your martial arts training, that you have time for, and that you think will offer you the kind of rewards you are after and then follow it.

It could be as simple as swings three times a week (250/500 a session like Dan John's recent post) along with your martial training.   Test it out and view it as developing your discipline.  This will help both your ma and strength/conditioning.

Good luck,

Richard

hey richard, indeed i have had great responsess, i will follow your advice and keep it simple, and maybay more important, give it some time, switching from one workout to another every week doenst work either.

thanks for helping me out here.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom