all posts post new thread

Old Forum Power to the People questions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

xagunos

Level 6 Valued Member
I'm planning to start a pttp routine using the conventional deadlift and weighted dip. Are these two exercises enough to work the whole body? I like doing dips instead of side press since the low back gets decompressed after heavy deads. Any tips overall?

You can literally use any press. The only limitation with the dip is the position it puts your shoulder in. A lot of people have a hard time doing bodyweight dips let alone weighted. If you have the equipment or experience the bench press and overhead press would be easier to load progressively.

Weighted dip is a fantastic exercise if your shoulders can handle it. That and deadlift should pair nicely.

I would not choose dips just to provide decompression. If you are really concerned with decompressing the spine, you can always just hang from a pull up bar or do a support hold in the top position of the dip with or without a little weight for traction.

I would only choose dips if they meet your needs for other reasons and you know you can tolerate them. Personally, I don't tolerate dips well and I think the standing press better develops the skills of rooting, wedging under the weight, and maintaining core stiffness.

If you want to do dips, Pavel has recommended doing them from a dead stop -- stand on a low box that places you in a bottom position you know you can tolerate well. Then you always have a reference point for a complete rep for that range of motion and you will know you aren't going too deep.

Another consideration in using dips for PTTP is figuring percentages for planning your cycles. Remember to include your body weight, not just the amount of added weight. So if you weigh 180 and want to start a cycle at 70%, your max needs to be at least BW + 80lbs.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom