all posts post new thread

Nutrition Powerlifters and Olympic Lifter On The Keto Diet

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kenny Croxdale

Level 7 Valued Member
A Low-Carbohydrate Ketogenic Diet Reduces Body Mass Without Compromising Performance in Powerlifting and Olympic Weightlifting Athletes

Greene, David A.; Varley, Benjamin J.; Hartwig, Timothy B.; Chapman, Phillip; Rigney, Michael
The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research: December 2018 - Volume 32 - Issue 12 - p 3373-3382
doi: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000002904

Abstract

Greene, DA, Varley, BJ, Hartwig, TB, Chapman, P, and Rigney, M. A low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet reduces body mass without compromising performance in powerlifting and Olympic weightlifting athletes. J Strength Cond Res 32(12): 3382–3391, 2018—Weight class athletes use weight-making strategies to compete in specific weight categories with an optimum power-to-weight ratio. There is evidence that low carbohydrate diets might offer specific advantages for weight reduction without the negative impact on strength and power previously hypothesized to accompany carbohydrate restriction. Therefore, the purpose of this study was to determine whether a low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet (LCKD) could be used as a weight reduction strategy for athletes competing in the weight class sports of powerlifting and Olympic weightlifting. Fourteen intermediate to elite competitive lifting athletes (age 34 ± 10.5, n = 5 female) consumed an ad libitum usual diet (UD) (>250 g daily intake of carbohydrates) and an ad libitum LCKD (≤50 g or ≤10% daily intake of carbohydrates) in random order, each for 3 months in a crossover design. Lifting performance, body composition, resting metabolic rate, blood glucose, and blood electrolytes were measured at baseline, 3 months, and 6 months. The LCKD phase resulted in significantly lower body mass (−3.26 kg, p = 0.038) and lean mass (−2.26 kg, p = 0.016) compared with the UD phase. Lean mass losses were not reflected in lifting performances that were not different between dietary phases. No other differences in primary or secondary outcome measures were found between dietary phases. Weight class athletes consuming an ad libitum LCKD decreased body mass and achieved lifting performances that were comparable with their UD. Coaches and athletes should consider using an LCKD to achieve targeted weight reduction goals for weight class sports.

Cliff Notes

1) Keto Diet works for Strength and Power Athletes

Once "Keto Adated", Strength (Powerlifting) and Power (Olympic Lifters) Athletes preform as well as individual on a Standard American Diet (high carbohydrate diet.

"Powerlifting and Olympic weightlifting athletes in this study decreased body mass and achieved lifting performances that were comparable with their UD when consuming an ad libitum LCKD."

2) The False Reading of Lean Muscle Mass Loss on Keto

As noted in this article, "The LCKD phase resulted in significantly lower body mass (−3.26 kg, p = 0.038) and lean mass (−2.26 kg, p = 0.016) compared with the UD."

The reason for the False Reading of a Lean Muscle Mass Loss on Keto is due how it is measured.

"Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry measurement of LBM relies on estimates of the distribution of water between intracellular and extracellular compartments."

On the Ketogenic Diet, lower water levels occur in muscle cells. DEXA's measurement accuracy of Lean Muscle Mass is dependent on the hydration levels in muscle.

Thus, when muscle is less hydrated, DEXA automatically records there is less Lean Muscle Mass; which is incorrect.

The reverse appears to be true with Superhydration in the muscle; produced with Creatine, Carb Loading, and certain type of anabolics. It seem that when muscle is Superhydrate, DEXA incorrectly measure that you have a more Lean Muscle Mass than you really do.

Another case in point is...

BIA, Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis

With these devices, specific protocols are required to obtain a somewhat fairly accurate reading.

One of those protocols is that the individuals must be well hydrated prior to testing. Some of the other protocols are that you cannot have eaten or worked out within a few hours of testing.

The BIA protocol for being well hydrated states that a more optimal reading is obtained later in the day, when you are more hydrated. The reason is that you are less hydrated in the morning after sleeping. Morning reading are dramatically different from reading taken later in the day.

With that said, BIA devices are highly inaccurate.

Secondly, they are site specific. Hand Held BIA's primarily measure the upper body. Scales that you step on, primarily measure the lower body.

Example

Let's say you have more lower body fat and less upper body fat.

If you stand on the BIA Scales, it will show that your body fat percentage is more than it really is and that your lean muscle total body mass is less than it really is. The Scales neglect to measure your upper body fat/lean mass.

The reverse is true if you use a Hand Held BIA and have less upper body fat. It will show that your total body fat percentage is lower than it really is and that your lean muscle mass is higher than it really is.

The article below also address the issue with measuring Lean Muscle Mass with DEXA.

The Effects of Ketogenic Dieting on Body Composition, Strength, Power, and Hormonal Profiles in Resistance Training Males

'..
.Muscle thickness changes between weeks 1-11 were significantly greater in KD when compared to WD (p<0.02) (Figure 3F). ...The KD condition gained 5 kg of mass from weeks 10-11. Of these, 3 kg were driven by changes in lean mass."

The Reason For The Gain 3 kg/6.6 lbs of Muscle Mass In 1 Week!

No one gains 6.6 lbs of muscle mass in a week.

The reason for the 3kg/6.6 lb registered gain in muscle mass in a week was because in week 10 - 11, the athletes"Carb Loaded"; Superhydrating the muscle cells.

DEXA interpretered that out of the total water weight gain of 5 kg/11 lbs, 3 kg/6.6 lbs of it muscle mass, which it was not!

Take Home Message

1) DEXA measurement of Lean Muscle Mass is dependent on muscle cell hydration.

2) When cellular water levels are low (as with the Keto Diet), DEXA interpreters that to mean that a decrease in muscle mass has occurred, when it has not.

3) With that said, the counter would also appear to occur when the muscle cells is Superhyrated; it would appear that DEXA would indicate that you have more muscle mass than you really do.

Last edited:
So I've been trying this out as an alternative to doing a deeper cut closer to competition.

I'm not going full keto, but keeping carbs in the 50-100 grams a day range, and most of that is from carbs that are in vegetables, beans, and nuts. This is in contrast to the "carb cycling" method of doing big carb re-feeds on heavy lifting days.

Adaptation took about a week.

No noticeable impact on the competition lifts, but they don't really tap a lot into the glycolytic system, anyway, at traditional rep/set/rest schemes used for weightlifting competition training.

Strength lifts (squats, pulls, presses) did seem to suffer until I increased my electrolyte and sodium intake.

Seems okay so far, but again, I'm not going low enough to get into full ketosis.

Last edited:
@watchnerd, what you’ve described is what I do. I take Xpel (made by MHP). It’s an herbal diuretic with electrolytes and vitamins. I just call it eating “clean.” Typically I fast for 18-20 hours or so before the weigh-in. The water pills also seem like a mild appetite suppressant to me, and I don’t even take their recommended dosage because less still works fine for me.

-S-

I am an overweight powerlifter and I have tried different weight loss methods, among them carb restriction, to full carnivore, etc.

I have never noticed a difference in performance or energy in the gym. Likewise, I have never noticed an effect from different eating styles pre meet and the like.

It may be that the diet is a variable, but it is among many or relatively minor that I did not notice a thing.

Personally, the carnivore diet has been my favourite so far based on how it felt, compliance, and success.

I am an overweight powerlifter and I have tried different weight loss methods, among them carb restriction, to full carnivore, etc.

I have never noticed a difference in performance or energy in the gym. Likewise, I have never noticed an effect from different eating styles pre meet and the like.

It may be that the diet is a variable, but it is among many or relatively minor that I did not notice a thing.

Personally, the carnivore diet has been my favourite so far based on how it felt, compliance, and success.
I was 100% animal based nutrition for 8 weeks in 2019. Meat (primarily red meat), butter, and eggs. Initial adaptation took about 4 weeks. Once that was done, I experienced the most profound changes in overall sense of wellness. Calm, stable mood but at the same time healthy level of desire to live life aggressively. Markers of male hormonal health were high.

At 5'8", 158 lbs, I felt like I could rip through a wall. I looked forward to every meal and never felt sluggish or tired from eating. I was at my highest level of power and strength relative to the lowest adult weight in my life. All joint pain vanished. The fat seemed to melt off with no real effort toward that end. I suspect that the high protein and increased satiety of meat had me eating at a caloric deficit, at least for the period of time. Overall, I've never felt so good.

I stopped because I knew that at some point I would not be able to eat this way for the rest of my life, so I didn't see the point in continuing. I missed having fruit as well as a variety of foods.

If you are interested, Dr. Paul Saladino has done a lot of work in this area. He suggests a carnivore-adjacent way of eating (80-90% animal based) still results in significant improvements to health that still allows room for better tolerated plant foods like, certain lettuces, avocados, olives, seeded and skinned cucumbers and squash and low sugar berries. He does advocate for a 100% carnivore nose-to-tail approach, however recognizes this approach may not be practical for all. He has a great podcast called Fundamental Health. I highly recommend it.

EDIT: Vince Gironda was the father of the "Steak and Eggs Diet back in the early 60s". Meat and eggs for 4-5 days and then eat veggies and carbs for a day, then back to steak and eggs. Rinse and repeat.

I was 100% animal based nutrition for 8 weeks in 2019. Meat (primarily red meat), butter, and eggs. Initial adaptation took about 4 weeks. Once that was done, I experienced the most profound changes in overall sense of wellness. Calm, stable mood but at the same time healthy level of desire to live life aggressively. Markers of male hormonal health were high.

At 5'8", 158 lbs, I felt like I could rip through a wall. I looked forward to every meal and never felt sluggish or tired from eating. I was at my highest level of power and strength relative to the lowest adult weight in my life. All joint pain vanished. The fat seemed to melt off with no real effort toward that end. I suspect that the high protein and increased satiety of meat had me eating at a caloric deficit, at least for the period of time. Overall, I've never felt so good.

I stopped because I knew that at some point I would not be able to eat this way for the rest of my life, so I didn't see the point in continuing. I missed having fruit as well as a variety of foods.

If you are interested, Dr. Paul Saladino has done a lot of work in this area. He suggests a carnivore-adjacent way of eating (80-90% animal based) still results in significant improvements to health that still allows room for better tolerated plant foods like, certain lettuces, avocados, olives, seeded and skinned cucumbers and squash and low sugar berries. He does advocate for a 100% carnivore nose-to-tail approach, however recognizes this approach may not be practical for all. He has a great podcast called Fundamental Health. I highly recommend it.

EDIT: Vince Gironda was the father of the "Steak and Eggs Diet back in the early 60s". Meat and eggs for 4-5 days and then eat veggies and carbs for a day, then back to steak and eggs. Rinse and repeat.

I don't mean to be gross, but...

How do you guys stay regular on 80-90% meat?

If I'm consuming even 50% meat, I need to make sure I have a lot of fiber to keep things moving.

If I'm consuming even 50% meat, I need to make sure I have a lot of fiber to keep things moving.
In the beginning the opposite is true, or at least it was for me. If you feel like you have gas, get to the toilet.

After adaptation, BM frequency was almost daily, a little less in volume with a little more water, but otherwise pretty normal.

Dr. Saladino who I referenced above, says he has a “golden” poo every day.

Just like most things, your body adapts.

Or it doesn’t…

I think I'm an odd one, I don't really need an adaptation period whichever way I swing these diet things. I suppose some call it metabolic flexibility.

I can be on carnivore and go to a party and eat like anyone else, pizza and cake and whatever that day. On the weekend I can have a case of beer if I feel like it. And I don't think having some fruit or veg wrecks any diet.

So, I like the idea of having the animal protein be the bulk, the basis of the diet. Then add things as appropriate. Have some
carbs or fat if you need more energy. Have yourself a treat if the need or occasion arises.

Personally, I don't believe in any magical properties of meat or see the carnivore diet as the most healthy one. So I have no problems adding to it. I do think the animals are very good for us and a great base for a diet. This way, I think this can be consistent and had for the rest of my life. Sadly, I can't really call it "X diet", just a way of eating I find reasonable.

In the beginning the opposite is true, or at least it was for me. If you feel like you have gas, get to the toilet.

After adaptation, BM frequency was almost daily, a little less in volume with a little more water, but otherwise pretty normal.

Dr. Saladino who I referenced above, says he has a “golden” poo every day.

Just like most things, your body adapts.

Or it doesn’t…

On my first run of carnivore, I was very runny, so to say. Never adapted to that. Maybe if I had been on it for several months, maybe not. Still, it was tolerable.

Later on, if I limit my carbs and thus fiber, I simply have a daily fiber supplement.

Paul is a big fan of honey too if I remember correctly

When I was younger, I could eat whatever I liked without real adverse consequences. My thing isn’t beer, it’s sugar, entire boxes of chocolates, a whole cake, a pound or two of fudge, a couple of banana splits, all things in my past.

Some of us are that kind of “metabolically flexible.”

-S-

Okay, over the last week, I've experimented with going as low as 45 g of carb during the day when I have weightlifting practice.

And as high as 200 g.

As long as I'm hydrated and have enough salts/electrolytes (enjoying LMNT), I'm not seeing a noticeable difference in snatches or C&J.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom