all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Press and tgu

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Blackhat1984

Level 1 Valued Member
So I've been reqdin gbtje forums someone mentioned if you can press a 32kg kettlebell you can algo do the tgu with it. Is this true??

They're not necessarily related, but I would suspect if you can press it, you can TGU it. I could TGU the 32 well before I could press it.

I also can TGU the 32, but not press it.

You probably have the strength to TGU. The question is just technique. I find every step up in weight with the TGU requires improvements to my technique.

So I've been reqdin gbtje forums someone mentioned if you can press a 32kg kettlebell you can algo do the tgu with it. Is this true??
No, I say no. Not necessarily.

The problem in the TGU is movements that target little wee muscles you are pretty much never using with "normal" weight training moves.

I think you could hurt yourself trying to do a TGU with a 32kg if you have only ever pressed that weight before and not done much in the way of TGU training.

Not in my case. I can Press the 16 for reps, but I can't TGU it.
I mean, barring injury, some limiting anthropometry, or just the *skill* needed, but if you can press it, I'd be surprised if you didn't have the *strength* to TGU it (which is what I was getting at with "if you can, then you can", above.

Though @Kozushi makes an excellent point wrt to the "little wee muscles" comment above.

I mean, barring injury, some limiting anthropometry, or just the *skill* needed, but if you can press it, I'd be surprised if you didn't have the *strength* to TGU it (which is what I was getting at with "if you can, then you can", above.

Though @Kozushi makes an excellent point wrt to the "little wee muscles" comment above.
I agree. Although over the years I've seen many a student who neglected their leg training and had a hard time coming up out of the lunge. This was easily fixed with proper leg training. If standing up wasn't the issue the next or more frequent sticking point, trying to do a straight crunch with the weight instead of a strong twist and drive. Also easily corrected.

Last edited:
I agree. Although over the years I've seen many a student who neglected their leg training and had a hard time coming up out of the lunge. This was easily fixed with proper leg training. If standing up wasn't the issue the next or more frequent sticking point, trying to do a straight crunch with the weight instead of a strong twist and drive. Also easily corrected.

I too was hard pressed to getup with a 10lb dumbbell early on. I think, in my case, it was the then aggressive anterior pelvic tilt which caused my hip flexors to bully my core into submission. A couple of ROP runs took care of my APT.

Once technique and underlying issues are taken care of, the getup progresses fairly quickly. I plan to upgrade to 50Kg sandbag getups sometime in December.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom