all posts post new thread

Old Forum Press at top of get up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NJRick

Level 3 Valued Member
I've been experimenting with my version of the program minimum in which I add a press to the top of my get ups, once I can do my get ups slow and controlled for 20 minutes with a given kettlebell. I feel that this will give me greater strength gains than get ups alone, and will help me progress to the getting up with the next bell.  Has anyone ever trained this way? What are your thoughts?

Thank you

I'm not a KB expert and I don't play one on tv but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night AND I read some Pavel Tsatsouline books while there.  I think what you are planning on doing may be TOO much. Remember Pavel talks about not being worn out after a strength training practice session.

If you still feel refreshed or energized afterwards then you should be okay. I'm 39 and I felt worn out just reading your plan LOL.

Press at every position in the Get Up. Do overhead squats at the top of the Get Up. Do 5 snatches at the top of your Get up. Do your Get Up bottoms up. Do your Get Ups on the ground. Do your Get Ups all around.

Do your getups on a box. Do your getups with a fox.

Really though - I've considered pressing at each stopping point as well, but my shoulder won't have it (old injury).

I've also thought about an overhead squat at the top, and also a windmill at the top.

All that said, I'm still just doing regular getups at this point though.

while I did laugh when I read about doing a press at every stage, I've felt adding a little press helped me transition from the 24 kg to the 32kg but hey, maybe it was placebo

Is your goal to move up to a heavier bell for getups or or to press a heavier bell?

RIck,

That's a great goal.  I personally got to the point of doing Get-Ups with the Beast and beyond by doing the PM as outlined.  One rep per side, switch, repeat for the time given.  My Get-Up practice never went beyond 8 minutes, don't think it's possible to do much more than that once the singles get HEAVY.

Adding presses, neck rotations, etc. throughout the movement are awesome, if done for a specific purpose.  If your shoulder mobility is excellent and you don't have mobility or stability issues then go heavier and stick to singles.

Originally I had a 32 kg and a 40 kg and to transition between the two I may or may not have added an intermittent weight to the back of the 32 kg to make the transition easier....  Or repeated said process after getting the 40 kg to get to the beast.  I've heard of such a thing being done safely and not safely and may or may not have fallen into either category at various times

I toyed with the idea of doing 20 swings then one long prying goblet squat then do a TGU with a press or two on the top, repeat 5 times and doing it 3-5days a week.

I've always felt like trying to do TGUs right after swings would be unsafe, for me at least. After a couple of sets I think I'd be tired from the swings.

With the TGU taking so long per rep, I don't think I would put it in a circuit with a ballistic. That's just me though.

Mark, yes and yes.  I try to work up to about 8 reps per side, switching of course, before I move up 8kg. I feel this helps me dial my form in and feel confident with the weight

I do my get ups and swings separate days.

so you switch sides every rep?? have you tried doing consecutive reps per side without switching?? slowing the movement down and holding each position for at least 5 seconds??

These are what have worked for me. I believe the getup requires getting used to the TUT of the load.

keep us all posted on how you progress

yes I switch. No I have not tried consecrative reps, but it also sounds like a cool way to transition, i'll have to try it! And yes, I do my get ups super slow, well over a minute each!

Try not switching sides and working up to 5 reps per side, you'll soon get much stronger..

good job on doing minute getups... those are tough :)

now THAT seems tough. I'll definitely give it a try tonight.  I'd also imagine that this is a better way to bridge the strength gap between bells, thanks for the suggestion!

Mark,

just got 5 consecutive reps per side with the 24! Very taxing on the grip and even gave me a pump.

can't wait till I can do that with the 32 kg!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom