all posts post new thread

Old Forum Press maintenance

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

John Spezzano

Level 6 Valued Member
Senior Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Hey all,

So you know I recently finished one of the Chief's press cycles that successfully got my PR to 44k on the left side. What an awesome day that was!

I've put the press into maintenance mode for now so I'm only pressing once/week. I have put together a short cycle and I'd love your feedback.

Week 1: 20 reps (each side) ranging from 5 with the 24k to singles with the 36k

Week 2: 30 reps ranging from 5 with the 24 to singles with the 40k

Week 3: 35 reps ranging from 5 with the 24 to short ladders with the 32, doubles with the 36 and singles with the 40k

Week 4: Deload with 20 reps from the 24 to the 32k

Thoughts?

jvs

So the 44 is 97 lb. So the 32 would keep you in the 70% range.  It's my feeling if your just gonna train the press once per week you need to push the volume to drive adaptation. I'd stay with the 32-36kg and push ladders or sets of 5-6. Co side bryce lane 50/20 and really solidify the base.

Looks good to me. Personally, I'd go more by feel in maintenance mode. For example, just keep things in the 60-80% range and do a bunch of doubles with varied weights, then hit some floor presses after; but your somewhat cycled plan makes a lot of sense.

Eric--I don't believe jvs is trying to drive adaptation, just maintain.

Also, 50/20 is not ideal for strict MPs, grinding out of the bottom is a big limiting factor. If you were to do a press with 50/20, push presses, dips, or a bench or pushup variant would be much preferable.

John, it is very difficult to maintain the military press training once a week.  I suggest easy GTG almost daily with 32 and 36kg.

Thanks all! GTG is a great idea because then I can dedicate Tuesday to some other lift. And simple is always good.

Chief,

First off thanks for the kind words in today's blog.

I've been greasing the press for the last couple days. I hit 2 sets of 1 with the 32 and 36k whenever I can. Realistically this is only 3 - 4 times/day. Do you recommend I do more volume in the sets since I can only do a few sets during the day?

Thanks!

John, I would do doubles with the 32; singles are right for the 36.  More volume is good—as long as you recover and your schedule allows it.

Hey, Len.

Just so you don't feel ignored: there are several experimental programs being Beta tested by various volunteers. The programs are designed by Pavel and are being kept confidential for the time being. That's why no one's clamoring to detail John's program. meanwhile, the well-known and time-tested Rite Of Passage Clean and Press ladders from Pavel's "Enter The Kettlebell" would be a great way to get your press on in a big way.

GTG for press is great.

Under busy schedules and not much sleep, I brought my  barbell overhead press from 1RM up from 45KG to 47.5KG in one week.  It is like baby weight for most of you but I am not strong and haven't done barbell overhead press  for  a long time.

Pavel, does the same hold true for working the TGU once per week? I cycled back to the ROP after S&S for 6 months and I've been doing TGUs on Tuesdays (like the book prescribes). Is just the one day per week enough to keep up with the weight I was using on S&S until I re-visit it again in a couple months?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom