all posts post new thread

Barbell Prilepin's chart optimal frequency

Spartan Agoge

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello everyone. I am planning yo run 2-3 12week mesocycles, based on prilepin's chart for 4 lifts: back squat, conventional deadlift, flat bench press and overhead press.
Something like this:

Week 1: 3x5 70% 1rm
Week 2: 3x6 70%
Week 3: 4x6 70%
Week 4: 3x4 75%
Week 5: 3x5 75%
Week 6: 4x5 75%
Week 7: 3x4 80%
Week 8: 4x4 80%
Week 9: 5x4 80%
Week 10: 5x3 85%
Week 11: 3x2 90%
Week 12: 1rm
Week 13: off/deload

After many years of mostly lifting above 85%, I am now a huge fan of the Soviet system of lifting that the vast majority of lifts should be at 70-85%.

My question is about the weekly frequency, in order to have a sufficient stimulus, but also not doing too much. Would that be once a week per lift? Twice per week?

Once per week would be like that:
Monday: Squat
Wednesday: Bench
Friday: Deadlift
Saturday: Overhead press

Twice per week would be:
Monday: Squat, Deadlift
Wednesday: Bench, Overhead press
Friday: Squat, Deadlift
Saturday: Bench, Overhead press

Thank you in advance for your time.

If it were me I’d workout A/B aiming for every other day (but taking additional rest days without concern) so your “week” becomes “workout” and I’d reduce week 10 to 4x3. I’m thinking of starting something similar as I haven’t lifted above my 10RM in ages and this looks a safe way to progress

If it were me I’d workout A/B aiming for every other day (but taking additional rest days without concern) so your “week” becomes “workout” and I’d reduce week 10 to 4x3. I’m thinking of starting something similar as I haven’t lifted above my 10RM in ages and this looks a safe way to progress
Thank you for your response, I appreciate it. Yes, maybe 4x3 is better for 85%.

I agree, Prilepin's chart is a proven, safe and very effective way to periodize and progress. Good luck with your training

An
Thank you for your response, I appreciate it. Yes, maybe 4x3 is better for 85%.

I agree, Prilepin's chart is a proven, safe and very effective way to periodize and progress. Good luck with your training
Prilepin's limitations have been discussed on here before but I've always found it to be a reasionable guide particularly if the intention is to train a small number of exercises at higher frequency. My workout A would be bench/squat and my workout B would be OHP/deadlift and eod frequency would mean each lift gets slightly over 3 workouts each fortnight, so you've got about an 8 week cycle. I might start it myself hahaha

In terms of very simple and effective programs, I've really enjoyed this old one from Craig Marker. It's like a proto Plan Strong and lighter than Prilepin. At first I thought the volume would be insufficient but I've used it a number of times and recommended it to others who just wanted something really quick and effective and all the feedback has been positive. It's just 4 weeks then test your max and go again. Armour Building.JPG

Last edited:
Yes it is simple and it seems effective. I would try it in a 3/week full body routine with the big 3. Maybe I will try it so me time.
IMO high intensity, high frequency, low volume is the way to go for a natural lifter.

Yes it is simple and it seems effective. I would try it in a 3/week full body routine with the big 3. Maybe I will try it so me time.
IMO high intensity, high frequency, low volume is the way to go for a natural lifter.
I've struggled with volume/frequency my entire lifting career. My brain always writing cheques my body can't cash. I'm a firm believer that you only need one tough set (even a heavy single) each workout to make great gains, provided frequency (and rest) is sufficient. My problem is I want to do that tough set then I want to do it again and again then I dont want to have any days off. Justa's Singles (7days) and PTTP (5days) were great because that level of frequency forced me to stick to the program - even slight over-extension brought on elbow tendinitis. Every workout started and finished with intense focus on being able to lift safely the next day.

This is exactly the issue for me too. When I start a routine and I feel good and not tired I always have the tendency to do more and more. So, I end up overtrained after some weeks. That is why I want to stick to the prilepin's chart from now on.

With PTTP I had the best gains of my life some years ago. My deadlift went from 120kg to 180kg in a few months.

In general I like low volume, high load and high frequency.

However, when the loads get heavy enough, the frequency has to go down.

Volume typically also goes up as the trainee gets more advanced.

In general I like low volume, high load and high frequency.

However, when the loads get heavy enough, the frequency has to go down.

Volume typically also goes up as the trainee gets more advanced.
I don't enjoy high volume, so I usually go for high intensity-high frequency.
The most important for me is to have the patience to progress really slowly and gradually.

As for the volume, yes you can build it and be able to do more and recover, but it really depends on what is your goal.
If you train specifically for work capacity or hypertrophy, you need to do more volume gradually. But if strength is your main goal, it is not as important imo.

I found this application of Prilepin's chart by Mark Watts on EliteFTS an interesting way to incorporate auto-regulation for good or bad days, and set weights to get you close to a percentage (even if not exact) for limited equipment or group training.
1679926823753.png

You might consider having different frequencies for different lifts. For instance with these sets/reps I know I am ready to go on Bench with just 1 day off (so benching every other day, or alternating with OHP), but I absolutely cannot deadlift/squat at that frequency. I think with these sets/reps I would maybe deadlift once per week, and squat 1.5-2 times per week (and maybe just once per week in the last couple hard weeks there), but that's just me.

I don't enjoy high volume, so I usually go for high intensity-high frequency.
The most important for me is to have the patience to progress really slowly and gradually.

As for the volume, yes you can build it and be able to do more and recover, but it really depends on what is your goal.
If you train specifically for work capacity or hypertrophy, you need to do more volume gradually. But if strength is your main goal, it is not as important imo.

Load is the primary driver of strength for sure. But read a soviet textbook on strength and they always increase volume with proficiency.

You might consider having different frequencies for different lifts. For instance with these sets/reps I know I am ready to go on Bench with just 1 day off (so benching every other day, or alternating with OHP), but I absolutely cannot deadlift/squat at that frequency. I think with these sets/reps I would maybe deadlift once per week, and squat 1.5-2 times per week (and maybe just once per week in the last couple hard weeks there), but that's just me.
Very good points, thank you.

Hello everyone. I am planning yo run 2-3 12week mesocycles, based on prilepin's chart for 4 lifts: back squat, conventional deadlift, flat bench press and overhead press.
Something like this:

Week 1: 3x5 70% 1rm
Week 2: 3x6 70%
Week 3: 4x6 70%
Week 4: 3x4 75%
Week 5: 3x5 75%
Week 6: 4x5 75%
Week 7: 3x4 80%
Week 8: 4x4 80%
Week 9: 5x4 80%
Week 10: 5x3 85%
Week 11: 3x2 90%
Week 12: 1rm
Week 13: off/deload

After many years of mostly lifting above 85%, I am now a huge fan of the Soviet system of lifting that the vast majority of lifts should be at 70-85%.

My question is about the weekly frequency, in order to have a sufficient stimulus, but also not doing too much. Would that be once a week per lift? Twice per week?

Once per week would be like that:
Monday: Squat
Wednesday: Bench
Friday: Deadlift
Saturday: Overhead press

Twice per week would be:
Monday: Squat, Deadlift
Wednesday: Bench, Overhead press
Friday: Squat, Deadlift
Saturday: Bench, Overhead press

Thank you in advance for your time.
So far, so good. Prilepin's chart needs high frequency in order to produce results, so I am doing 3 full body workouts per week:

Monday
-Squat
-Flat bench press
-1-2 accessories

Wednesday
-Deadlift
-Overhead press
-Pull-ups

Friday
-Front squat
-Incline bench
-Row

For the first 2 executive of each day I progress according to the prilepin's chart.
I think it is going great. Every week I am able to do the reps/sets more easily than I thought.

The only downside is mental. Because I feel never tired with this program (which is good), my mind sometimes tricks me to believe that I don't work hard enough and I undertrain. I guess that I am addicted to this fatigue feeling I was having with other routines.

I've struggled with volume/frequency my entire lifting career. My brain always writing cheques my body can't cash. I'm a firm believer that you only need one tough set (even a heavy single) each workout to make great gains, provided frequency (and rest) is sufficient. My problem is I want to do that tough set then I want to do it again and again then I dont want to have any days off. Justa's Singles (7days) and PTTP (5days) were great because that level of frequency forced me to stick to the program - even slight over-extension brought on elbow tendinitis. Every workout started and finished with intense focus on being able to lift safely the next day.

You might enjoy a block of Cluster Set training.

In terms of very simple and effective programs, I've really enjoyed this old one from Craig Marker. It's like a proto Plan Strong and lighter than Prilepin. At first I thought the volume would be insufficient but I've used it a number of times and recommended it to others who just wanted something really quick and effective and all the feedback has been positive. It's just 4 weeks then test your max and go again. View attachment 20926
I love this plan. It worked great for one-arm pressing.

You might enjoy a block of Cluster Set training.
unfortunately racking and unracking the bar are aggravating factors for my elbow issues, so I’m limited in the number of sets I can perform (which is in turn dependent on my rest days). Recently I worked out I can do five sets of pushing and five sets of pulling provided I have two clear rest days between workouts. Higher frequency and the sets reduce. I think cluster training involves lots of mini sets so I haven’t pursued it

The more volume you can accumulate, the better. The provisos are that the weight needs to be heavy enough to matter and light enough to recover from without interfering with getting in enough volume. A second day with lighter weights and lighter volume, even a second and a third day like that, can be great for your overall progress. Training 4 lifts, twice a week might be all you can reasonably schedule. I'd follow Pavel's guidance in the article on Tim Ferriss's site about Faleev's 5 x 5 - go for 80% of the volume with 80% of the weight of your weekly heavy day.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom