all posts post new thread

Barbell Prilepin's chart optimal frequency

unfortunately racking and unracking the bar are aggravating factors for my elbow issues, so I’m limited in the number of sets I can perform (which is in turn dependent on my rest days). Recently I worked out I can do five sets of pushing and five sets of pulling provided I have two clear rest days between workouts. Higher frequency and the sets reduce. I think cluster training involves lots of mini sets so I haven’t pursued it
More isometrics…
Left my chronic elbow issues in the dust over a year ago. Even a 6- 8 week block will have a notable effect on a lot of chronic joint problems.

In terms of very simple and effective programs, I've really enjoyed this old one from Craig Marker. It's like a proto Plan Strong and lighter than Prilepin. At first I thought the volume would be insufficient but I've used it a number of times and recommended it to others who just wanted something really quick and effective and all the feedback has been positive. It's just 4 weeks then test your max and go again. View attachment 20926
It has been some time, but I would like to ask 1-2 questions about this routine you posted, please.

How would you structure the training week? If -let's say- someone wanted to incorporate 4 big lifts(sq, dl, bp, ohp), would you do each of them on all 3 workouts for the prescribed reps?

It has been some time, but I would like to ask 1-2 questions about this routine you posted, please.

How would you structure the training week? If -let's say- someone wanted to incorporate 4 big lifts(sq, dl, bp, ohp), would you do each of them on all 3 workouts for the prescribed reps?
I’ve only done three exercises (push/pull/legs) at a time and that was all three exercises at each workout for the prescribed reps. In my case the muscle groups were different. Personally I wouldn’t do BP/OHP and SQ/DL in the same workout if my goal was strength because in my experience they do interfere with each other. BUT … I see many lifters who appear to do so happily so it’s clearly a personal thing. If I wanted to train the big four on this program (like I was an old dude who wanted to keep my hand in with each) I would do workout A/B and turn three workouts in seven days into six workouts in 12 days (eg BP/SQ days 1 5 9 and OHP/DL days 3 7 11). And because the volume is mild I’d add a third lift to each workout - pulling variants - because … why the hell not? This program is excellent for full body

I’ve only done three exercises (push/pull/legs) at a time and that was all three exercises at each workout for the prescribed reps. In my case the muscle groups were different. Personally I wouldn’t do BP/OHP and SQ/DL in the same workout if my goal was strength because in my experience they do interfere with each other. BUT … I see many lifters who appear to do so happily so it’s clearly a personal thing. If I wanted to train the big four on this program (like I was an old dude who wanted to keep my hand in with each) I would do workout A/B and turn three workouts in seven days into six workouts in 12 days (eg BP/SQ days 1 5 9 and OHP/DL days 3 7 11). And because the volume is mild I’d add a third lift to each workout - pulling variants - because … why the hell not? This program is excellent for full body
Thank you for your answer.
It seems like a great program and I consider doing it in a few months when I finish with my current routine.

Check out Rogoznikov in PTTP Profes
sional. I have run a variant.if every other day and it is really good at fatigue management

I don't know how true it is, but I've read comments that Prilepin's chart is the most accurate for Olympic lifts. The arguments for this are that he did it for them, but in these lifts we do not have an eccentric part, because after the lift the bar is dropped straight to the floor. And those percentages he gives may not be completely relevant for lifts that have an eccentric part - presses, squats, rows and others.
It will certainly work though, and if there is any truth to these claims, the discrepancy is minimal.

Last edited:
I don't know how true it is, but I've read comments that Prilepin's chart is the most accurate for Olympic lifts. The arguments for this are that he did it for them, but in these lifts we do not have an eccentric part, because after the lift the bar is dropped straight to the floor. And those percentages he gives may not be completely relevant for lifts that have an eccentric part - presses, squats, rows and others.
It will certainly work though, and if there is any truth to these claims, the discrepancy is minimal.

Yes, the Prilepin's chart is for weightlifters. For snatch, C&J and front squat.
These lifts are different than presses, deadlifts and heavy back squats, but, as you said, I believe that the discrepancy is minimal
The rep schemes at any particular 1rm percentage seem to be ideal.

Back
Top Bottom