all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Problems with TGU

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jose Manuel

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello.

I´m new in the forum and I write from Spain, so sorry for my poor English.

I´m 46 now and I´ve been practicing strength for about 18 months, mostly squats, deadlifts, bench press, landmine shoulder press, rows and pull ups. I can´t overhead press for lack of shoulder mobility (I can´t get my arm vertical without arching my lower back). After reading “Simple & Sinister” and practicing some TGUs with low weights, I found I have the same problem (or I will when I use a heavier kb). Is there an alternative to the regular TGU? I´m thinking in just racking the bell at the end of the movement, instead of keeping my arm vertical, but I´m not sure if it´s worth.

King regards.

Yes, I'm currently doing some exercises to fix It, but it's a slow process... That's why I stick to landmine presses instead of military presses.

I don't think it's necessary to modify the movement to increase the weight... if you want a heavy lunge, do it with a barbell or whatever instead of a TGU. To me, the real value of the TGU is in the core & shoulder stress from odd angles. I'd say, keep using the light weight as long as you have to, and let it work your mobility (assuming your physio is OK with it). Rely on other movements for a heavy leg work.

I don't think it's necessary to modify the movement to increase the weight... if you want a heavy lunge, do it with a barbell or whatever instead of a TGU. To me, the real value of the TGU is in the core & shoulder stress from odd angles. I'd say, keep using the light weight as long as you have to, and let it work your mobility (assuming your physio is OK with it). Rely on other movements for a heavy leg work.

Thanks, I think I'll follow your advice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom