all posts post new thread

Old Forum Program Critique: 40 Day Program + S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

crt1

Level 5 Valued Member
Comrades, I am in the last 2 weeks of the RoP with the 20kg.  I will post results after my final test day.  I am starting to think about what's next.  My goal is the SGF Level 1 sometime in summer or fall of 2014.  I have the diet, body comp, and conditioning locked down, so my singular goal is to build strength without screwing up the rest of my life.

I will do the RoP with the 24kg, but frankly after 8 months of KB only I am itching to get a barbell cycle in.  I'd like to try the 40 Day Program but also want to keep working out with my wife at home in the AM on some days to help her motivate.  We only have Kettlebells at home, so I thought a blend of 40 Day Program (at gym) + S&S (at home) might work. For your consideration:

Mon, Wed, Fri: 40 Day Program

Warm Up: Halos, Hip Lift, KB Goblet Squat 3x5
Deadlift 2x5
Bench Press 2x5
Weighted Pull-up 2x5
KB Snatch* 1x20-50
Ab Roll-outs 1x5

* I know Master Dan John recommends swings, but I put snatches here since I want to stay in the groove and will be doing swings on the S&S days.  Good idea or no?

Tues:  Indoor Soccer  ~30 minutes excluding breaks

Tues, Thurs, Sat:  S&S as written.

Will the 40 Day Program and the S&S dovetail nicely or no?  Will I survive the 13 weeks?  Any opinions welcome.  Thank you in advance.

To be clear, If your goal is to eventually get an SFG, perhaps you should structure your training around honing your skills and building the capacity to pass all the standards?

As an alternative, have you considered checking Pat Flynn's stuff? It may be more entailed to your liking without  having to mix two programs..

Just my 2 cents

Mark:  Thank you for the feedback.  You make a cogent point.  Shortest distance from A to B.  In my humble self-assessment I am progressing adequately in the skill department but I have a large strength deficit to fill in.  A barbell cycle is congruent with my goals, if not quite the shortest distance.

After six months on the RoP, I love it and am excited about doing it with the 24kg, but just . . .  not . . . yet . . . if you know what I mean.  I know there are great alternatives but workouts named "Helion" and such are not what I am looking for right now.  I am thinking a "park bench" cycle is in order and so I was considering PTTP, 40 Day, or S&S.  I'm excited to get back to the barbell and keeping my training fun is a goal, so it all just seems to point to a barbell cycle.

I'd prefer not to mix programs, but I don't have room for a barbell at home, and helping support my wife is important to me.  If folks think I should not mix programs I could do the 40 Day Program at work and get up in the AM with my wife and just do some mobility work.  My body feels better working out moderately 5-6 days per week though and throwing in "variety days" to the 3x per week 40 Day Program seems like it might help not hurt.

Another alternative that just came to me: do the 40 day program at the gym and at home.  On the AM home days substitute in KB deadlifts and KB floor presses.  Loads will be a lot lighter be would be working the same patterns and introduce a nice wave to the load.

Thoughts?

I can actually show you the tweaks to BOAH or the minimalist programs to make it "park bench" style.

And yes I know what you mean about not doing a heavier ROP yet.

Let me know if you need help setting up your program, I'll be glad to help

13 weeks should be able to give you an idea about whether or not this is working and if it is worth sharing. That soccer thing...

This is a lot of work, so be very careful about load.

Im tired redding what you do. With so much to do how will you know what's helping/hurting. I always come to, 2x week barbell work. Just good solid work, not pounding your dick into the dirt. 2-3 days kb work. These are the days you practice your lifts for the cert.

@Dan:  Thanks for the feedback.  I'd treat the S&S days as optional variety days like in the RoP and take a knee when necessary.  That Soccer thing . . . I feel healthier overall with a 30 min aerobic thingy in there each week.  Will this dampen my strength gains results, or just too much work?  I'll drop it or drop some of the strength days if that is your recommendation.

@Mark:  Thank you for your generous offer for programing help.  What is BOAH?  I'm kinda set on the 40-day program at this point so its more about what should I do (if anything on my off days).

@Eric:  Ha ha, sorry to make you tired.  Unfortunately it is easier to type out a workout plan than do it!  I don't want to kill myself, just breeze through a 30 min workout each day and let the numbers take care of themselves.  Sounds like I am over reaching a little (or a lot).  Will consider scaling back to 2x per week barbell + 2-3 days KB.

Thank you all!

Best,

Chris

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom