all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Program Feedback

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mjg

Level 5 Valued Member
Looking for thoughts/feedback/improvements on my current training.

55 (in 3 weeks) yo male
5'9" 167-171 lbs
4 knee scopes, 2 on each knee, most recent at end of January

Goals - to be prepared/fit for my activities; in order of most time spent...ww kayaking, mountain biking, climbing (alpine/ice/rock). Get my knee/leg back to full strength

Having a little slower recovery from this last scope, each seems to be a more difficult as I get older. Little cartilage left in either knee.

Currently doing the following program per week, with some variation depending on recovery, weather, etc..

2 days of kayaking
1-2 days of mountain/road biking
2 days of KB; usually ladders of single leg dl, presses, sandbag rows, 1-5 minutes of swings
1 day of complete rest

On weeks where kayaking is reduced, I usually add a KB day. If more recovery is needed, I usually get that through easy road biking or easy swim session. I have found I do need at least one full day off.

In your place, I'd be looking for the cause of the knee problems and addressing it as top priority - you can eliminate/reduce the cause, or you can try to handle it with specific corrective/preventative exercise.

Looking at your list, I'm prompted to ask about bicycle pedaling system and if you're sure you have a good fit.

-S-

In your place, I'd be looking for the cause of the knee problems and addressing it as top priority - you can eliminate/reduce the cause, or you can try to handle it with specific corrective/preventative exercise.

Looking at your list, I'm prompted to ask about bicycle pedaling system and if you're sure you have a good fit.

-S-
Thanks. Most of my knee issues tend to be arthritis after the knee surgeries. Biking actually makes them feel better. As much as I like TGU, I have been doing them unweighted (warmup and mobility days) to work on stability, focusing on core and leg tension.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom