all posts post new thread

Old Forum Progressing on S&S with heavier bells

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

EHughes323

Level 4 Valued Member
Just thought I would share with you all a modification (gasp! he's not doing the program as written!) that I've made in order to continue to progress on S&S with heavier bells. Just for reference, I am 23 years old, 5'9" and 150 lbs.

Since my "running season" is pretty much done for this year, I am now focusing on progressing to the 48kg Beast on S&S, and I am using the 40kg right now. Since 5/5 TGUs and 10x10 Swings is way too much volume for me to handle with the 40kg on a high frequency basis, but I still wanted to get the benefits of high frequency training, I simply reduced the volume to 3/3 TGUs and 6x10 Swings 5-6 days a week. I've found this to work much better for me in terms of making optimal progress, rather than just doing the regular S&S volume as written fewer times per week. This way, you're still doing the same weekly volume as if you were to do the regular S&S volume as written 3-4 times per week, but still getting the benefits of higher frequency training. Also, since the daily volume is much lower, I can really focus on nailing each rep and each stage of my TGUs, and likewise I can really focus on doing my swings as fast, powerfully, and explosively as possible with good form. Also, it has been said (I forget who or where) that the sweet spot for weekly volume of swings is somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-300 swings, and if you make this modification to S&S and do it 5 days/week, you hit that 300 rep sweet spot.

Hopefully this will help of those of you who are more intermediate/advanced and looking to continue to progress on S&S using the heavier bells.

Makes sense. I know that for me when I began working the 40 in I really needed to step back on other days.

I personally found it easier to do a heavy/light/medium approach by adjusting bell size. So heavy days would be all with the 40, medium days would me mix of 40 and 32 and light days only the 32.

Backing off seems like it's really helped me progress with the 40 too. I only do 2 days with the 40 for TGUs and 32 for swings & goblets. The other 3 days I'll use the 32 and 24, respectively.

I like to take a lot of time on my heavy days and blow through it on my light days.

Evan, I am not aware of S&S suggesting anything other than daily training unless you are also doing some other program.  Reducing the volume in order to use a heavy weight daily is not the proverbial "something for nothing."  You will likely need to cycle back - weight, volume, both - periodically, which isn't part of the S&S program.

We're all different - your experience may prove me wrong, but the above is my prediction based on what you've said.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-

If I may...

About 4 wk ago I started S&S and KBM in the same time. After 22 days I've reached Simple goal and start wk 4th on KBM. I'm not tired. Everything seems to be fine and stiil notice progress. In KBM I'm using 2x24kg kb. I train like that: Day 1: S&S, Day 2: KBM, ect.

So, Everyone are diffrent and what works for You not necessary will work for me, and vice versa :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom