all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Progressing to Airborne Lunge from Kickstand Squat

LoneRider

Level 6 Valued Member
Since I came back from some time doing Army stuff (and mostly barbell based training) back in September I've shifted to more a Kettlebell (Q&D and now AXE for ballistics and IC for grinds). For my IC stuff I'm doing one arm pushups and kickstand squats alternated with clean/press/squat with pullups on a fairly routine basis. When I tested myself at my last Army Reserve Battle Assembly I did 3x solid OAPU per arm and 5x KSQ/leg. I'm trying to work on how to progress to the airborne lunge and am curious for some recommended progressions.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
You can do the airborne lunge bringing the airborne knee to an elevation and slowly lower that until you can go to the floor. This is how I did them when I started years ago.

Or you can add weight to your KSQ.

+1 to @Benjamin Renaud ‘s suggestion to elevate the non-working leg. It will help you learn how to balance. You could also incorporate slow negatives with an emphasis on control and balance. Aim to make the left and right feel the same. Don’t be too surprised if one side is harder to balance.

Another thing you can try is doing your kickstand squat and standing up with only the main leg (lift the other one off the ground).

Lots of options!

I'm trying to work on how to progress to the airborne lunge and am curious for some recommended progressions.
Airborne Lunge Training

This is optimally developed with..

Triphasic Trainng

This develop the three movements in a movement

1) Eccentric Phase

For Jumping, Ballistic Eccentric Ballistic sticking a land like a gymnast.

Eccentric Strength is like car brakes. The faster can stop the downward movement, the faster that you can change direction

2) Isometric Phase

This is the transition from the Eccentric to Concentric Phase. The less time spent in the Isomentric Conversion Phase the greater power that is converted to being explosive Concentric Forfce Production.

Isometric Hold are the most effective.

3) Concentric Phase

Light to Moderte Explosive ResistanceTraning develops this.

Some Specific Training Exercises

Russian Lunge

Low Squat Vertical Jump

Last edited:
No weight at all. I was just testing purely bodyweight exercises that particular day and in general I don't use weight for my kickstand squats, yet.
I've seen posts of yours in the past where I think you posted decent barbell numbers if I'm not mistaken. (So I'd guess that your problem is mobility and firing patterns unless you have trouble balancing on one leg with your eyes closed)

I spent a few years working on the kickstand squat, kickstand deadlift, and airborne lunge.

Your mileage may vary, but in my experience:

• mobility exercises like bretzel 1+2, pumps, and kneeling windmill make the kickstand pattern more natural
  • adding weight to the kickstand increases the weight I can do in the airborne
I used this program before I added weight to build up the number of unweighted reps I could do:

If balance is an issue, you could try some balance work like MovNat prescribes. It may seem silly to some but I saw some pretty impressive progress with just a few sessions of balance work on a 2x4. Mindfulness and slow movement is key here to really work on proprioception.

When a 2x4 gets easy a log is a great option. Rocks are great too. Adding in carries is fun and challenging also.

I now routinely do it for fun or in my warm-ups.

Back
Top Bottom