all posts post new thread

Kettlebell pttp and kb press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ali

Level 7 Valued Member
I'm plotting and planning for my next move. A&A snatches v pttp.
I'm edging towards pttp as I want to get to know the deadlift better as I've only really played with it.
That was last year and got to 5 reps at 1.5 bw with no drama after 5 days of it. Would like to work more on strength, so a double bw deadlift is a fine goal and, I'd like to think anyway, a realistic one.
2 immediate problems come to mind.....firstly, I don't have a barbell, haha. Easily solved. I do have a garage though....
Secondly, I don't know the side press nor the kb bent press and figured, rightly or wrongly, I may stick to the kb press, either one or doubles. Is this a viable option? MP or C&P? I may invest in some practice of the side press before doing it, as that is the thing suggested but just wanted to know if the kb press option is a good one. Many thanks.

Since you're getting a barbell ... :) I'd suggest the barbell military press OR the bench press (choose one), to go along with your PTTP deadlifts. A+A snatches in moderate quantity, slowly building over time, would be a great addition. I would do the strength work then the snatches, with 5-10 minutes rest between the two.

Thanks @Anna C , I wasn't thinking of doing both, more an either or. Would that not be a lot for the old shoulders? Guess err on the low volume side of things but yes something to consider thanks.
Barbell MP and bench? Yes, but I'd need more stuff!!

I have thought about pttp + KB press and ended up thinking how would the KB press be programmed. It's not possible to add weight frequently as pttp requires, so I think you would have to vary the volume, right? Or maybe change the press program altogether keeping an easy strength template.

Anyway, as per the below post by @Steve Freides, 80% of pttp is the deadlifts, so doing KB presses should be fine. I'm interested to know how the press would be programmed as I might so this myself eventually.

When Changing a Program Is, and Isn't, OK

Last edited:
I think your idea of an ES template for your presses is fine. When I have done this, the deadlift has always been the priority, and the press was two sets of five with whatever felt right. Sometimes, though, per Easy Strength's way of thinking, I would pick up a heavier weight, and press for singles, double or triples only, e.g., two sets of 3 with a heavier bell. One could then decide to progress by way of trying to get a third set of press in with the heavier weight, or going to 6-8 reps with the lighter weight for 2 sets, and gradually transition towards 2 sets of 5 with the heavier weight.

-S-

Thanks guys.
@Oscar , I thought I had read that somewhere, couldn't remember where so that link was handy.
@Steve Freides, thanks.....just about to reply when you posted. Sure I've read that, possibly yours, recommendation too. Is that a clean with each press?

Thanks @Anna C , I wasn't thinking of doing both, more an either or. Would that not be a lot for the old shoulders? Guess err on the low volume side of things but yes something to consider thanks.
Barbell MP and bench? Yes, but I'd need more stuff!!

Just some more ideas along this line... I think the barbell MP (which I think you could do without extra equipment, if you can power clean the bar at your press weight) would go better along with your deadlifts and A+A snatches than a kettelbell press program. The barbell MP would not be too much volume on your shoulders. It's a strength builder, not muscular endurance. But kettlebell presses... they end up being a lot of volume, which is more muscular endurance, and probably would combine with the A+A snatches to be a bit much, or would limit what you could do with the A+A snatches. Just depends on your priorities...

from @Pavel (PTTP! + kettlebell presses):

You may use the ‘Enter the Kettlebell!’ Right of Passage press plan, just lower the volume to 3 ladders.

@Pavel Macek , thanks for that. How would that be put together if doing pttp 5 days a week? Building to 5 sets of 3 ladders? Would it be a more light, light, medium, medium, heavy idea?

@Pavel Macek , thanks for that. How would that be put together if doing pttp 5 days a week? Building to 5 sets of 3 ladders? Would it be a more light, light, medium, medium, heavy idea?

Light = 1x(1, 2, 3, 4, 5) = 15 reps
Medium = 2x(1, 2, 3, 4, 5) = 30 reps
Heavy = 3x(1 ,2, 3, 4, 5) = 45 reps

or

Easy = 3x(1,2,3) = 18 reps
Medium = 3x(1,2,3,4) = 30 reps
Hard = 3x(1,2,3,4,5) = 45 reps

@Pavel Macek For almost daily training, five days per week, you wouldn’t recommend lower volume? Or are you lowering the intensity to the 70% range or lower? What you laid out seems like a lot for PTTP style, Easy Strength practice.

Or keeping pressing intensity up and Deadlift 5 days a week and L/M/H Pressing 3 days per week?

@Geoff Chafe

- I would personally do 4 times a weak - 1 easy, 2 medium, 1 heavy.
- Remember, to press a lot, you have to... press a lot. Applies especially to the military press.
- As for weight, I would use a kettlebell you can press 7-8 times.
- Do not forget that you would start all days just "easy", and gradualy build up the "medium", and later "heavy" days.

@Geoff Chafe

- I would personally do 4 times a weak - 1 easy, 2 medium, 1 heavy.
- Remember, to press a lot, you have to... press a lot. Applies especially to the military press.
- As for weight, I would use a kettlebell you can press 7-8 times.
- Do not forget that you would start all days just "easy", and gradualy build up the "medium", and later "heavy" days.
Actually I got very good results with low volume presses. Soju & tuba worked well and one other program with even lower volume worked as well. Basically I did 3-6 sets, left 1-2 reps (70-80% effort)to the tank at every set. 32kg was my rm 2, so first sessions were only singles and doubles. After couple of weeks I could do sets of 3-5 and my rm was 7 reps. 3-4 session each week.
It’s not structured so you have to listen to your body and stop set when you are still strong.

@Sauli I have heard many excellent reviews of Soju & Tuba - but I would say solid foundation may come first. With the beginners, I like to go up to 10 reps in press - e.g. ladders of 2, 3, 5, 10. With intermediate, ladders of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (ROP). With advanced, ladders of 1, 2, 3.

@Sauli I have heard many excellent reviews of Soju & Tuba - but I would say solid foundation may come first. With the beginners, I like to go up to 10 reps in press - e.g. ladders of 2, 3, 5, 10. With intermediate, ladders of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (ROP). With advanced, ladders of 1, 2, 3.
I like that approach. Propably good to start with higher reps and lighter weight when you are beginner. Students get also solid form faster when they do lots of light good reps. :)

If I don't do S&S for lack of time or energy, I do 2 sets of 5 300lbs deadlifts and several sets of 6 kettlebell presses with the 24kg bell.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom