all posts post new thread

Old Forum PTTP and swings

• Thread starter Deleted member 316
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

I have been bitten by the deadlifting bug again. So PTTP it is. I plan on lifting three days a week and using the military press and barbell curl (and deadlift of course). Should I do some swings after the workout or on alternating days? And how many? 100-200?

Hunter, DL on Mon and Thur and swing on Tue and Fri.  Or do both on Mon and Thur. Or train Mon, wed, Fri, alternating DLs and swings (see my recent blog).

The number is fine if power is your priority.

Sets of ten for swings? And for conditioning bump it up abit? Deadlifts three times a week too much? Will be using 5,3,2 method. Thanks Pavel, your the man.

i'll just add my two cents here ,I like swinging after deadlifting as an assistance movement.I feel you need to use a heavy enough kettlebell  to make a difference on the deadlifts.A 32kg or larger.10 reps is good and for me i may do 5 to 10 sets depending how i feel.I will usually just do two hand swings.If i want more conditioning rather than a DL assistance movement i like one hand swings 10/10 every minute with a lighter KB usually a 20 or 24kg KB.10 sets this way will really raise your heart rate in a short 10 minute time frame.

If you doing three days a week with those three moves, you might not need much else (depending on what you want). If you really go after three day a week minimal training, you begin to wonder what you have been doing the rest of your career. I can tinker forever with your idea, but can I suggest, maybe not right now, but a two week block of just those three moves? Then, slide in the extra swings as advised for maybe two more weeks. Just a four week "look" at things to get a sense of what is working.

Long term, here is an idea:

I have been suggesting this as a "warm up" or whatever:

5 sets of 15 Swings with a Goblet Squat at the end of the 15. A long prying squat...finish well. Toss in a few Get Ups and you cover basically every human movement when mixed with PTTP.

I previously posted a thread about minimalist training with the plan to do the Q3 program from easy strength (2 weeks PM/ 2 weeks PTTP) but from reading Pavel blog on Swings and DL 3x per week it seems that it could be even easier.

Maybe Dan or Pavel could comment about a plan like

Warm up- GS, Halos, Pump stretch

Day 1- Swings + Reverse getups (clean and press the KB and start/finish the TGU from the top)

Day 2- DL + Weighted pull ups

M,W,F alternating

Many thanks for any input.

Think I will go with Pavels first suggestion. Lift on Mon and Thur, swing on Tues and Fri. Since everyone says the deadlift will out run your press, can you (or should you) alternate between the bench press and overhead? One cycle of bench and then one cycle of overhead?

For me, it boils down to what my current goal is. If it's to have a bigger bench, I bench more. If it's a bigger press, I press more. If I don't care about the bench, I don't do it. In that case, throw in a few weighted dips when the urge strikes and call it good.

Short answer...yes, you can.

You can. You could also do something like Press/Deadlift and Bench/Swing. You also can stick with just the press and make smaller jumps, or play around with the different kind of cycles (step, wave, etc.). As Chris said it all comes down to your goals.

Pavel, read and reread the blog post you recommended. Thanks. Dont want to tinker with it, but is it ok to use the PTTP 5/3/2 method?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom