all posts post new thread

Old Forum PTTP: days off after cycle?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

dk

Level 4 Valued Member
I recently started following the PTTP program with deadlifts and bench press using a linear/step cycle (max 2 sessions at same weight). On this cycle I made good progress and set new PRs for both DL and bench. How many days is it recommended to take off before starting the next cycle without losing too much strength?

After the previous cycle (just before starting this one), I took off 4 days but that was because I felt that I had overtrained by doing too many sessions with heavy weights. This time I was more strict and avoided this type of overtraining.

If it is relevant, I am training 4-5 days per week (M-F, weekends off).

Dan, there is no formula that I'm aware of.  A good guideline might be a week off.  How much time off depends on how hard you pushed yourself at the end of the cycle, how you personally recover from a near-max effort (if that's what you did), etc.

I will address one point you made - you ask about "without losing too much strength?"  I find that it's actually good to take enough time off that I feel like I've lost some strength - that means I'm fully recovered and ready to build up to a new peak again.

-S-

Interesting. I appreciate your input. Of course there is no formula since everyone is different.

I think a full week might be too much (or more than is necessary) since my cycles are ~12-13 workouts long.

I'm interested in hearing more opinions on this.

I don't normally take a ton of time off, but might start my next cycle with a very easy weight, say 80% of the top set I had gotten on the previous cycle. So, for instance if I had gotten 5 reps at 205, then I would start my next cycle at 165. This will be incredibly easy, but still allow some practice while you give your body a week or so to recover.

Just one option.

Don't be afraid of "losing" strength. As long as you work smart it has a way of coming back quickly.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom