all posts post new thread

Old Forum pttp military press question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

thanasis

Level 1 Valued Member
i want to do military press with a barbell but i dont have power rack.should i do power clean to  bring the barbell in to the rack position?

You would probably be better off doing the side press that is in the PTTP. You can prob get away with cleaning the weight for a while, but when your deadlift numbers start going up it may not be much fun lol. The Times I was without a rack, I used the side press or dumbbell presses.

You should be fine cleaning the bar before each set. I did it this way for a while and noticed no disadvantages, if anything it was a nice way to get a couple light cleans into my workout.

Just clean the first rep of each set. It'll be a good warmup for deadlifts (assuming that your are doing DL as well).

You could also DL first and press after, cleans will feel like a feather after DL and serve as a decent cooldown as well....

I've done it both ways and it works fine.

I've done PTTP before, always with deadlifts before presses, and cleaning the weight up to the rack position was never a problem for me.  If anything it was way easier to rip the bar off the floor after deadlifts, what with the disparity in weight.  Basically, don't worry about it.

Thanasis, yes.  Make sure to get proper clean instruction.  Dan John's "From the Ground Up" DVD is great.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom