all posts post new thread

Old Forum PTTP Russian Bear questions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

edisto

Level 1 Valued Member
This summer I started back in the weight room after an 8-10 year layoff. My workouts were focussed on bench, DL, squat and military press, working up to my 1RM every workout (trying to do 5 sets of 1), then doing essentially 5x5s, 30 seconds apart with 3 additional exercises for that body part, and 2 exercises for biceps on back day, and triceps on chest day.

I went from a BP of 185 to 280, a DL of <300 to 380, and a shoulder press of 115 to 175 (all 1 RM), BUT I could feel that getting beyond that is going to take a change. I had been researching books for my wife, and after finding PTTP, I began reading articles by Pavel. Long story short, what he was saying made perfect sense to me, because (in spite of all the wrong things I was doing) the gains I was getting could be tied to his principles (e.g., I was always more likely to increase my 1 RM if I left a rep in the bank, but I always felt like a sissy for doing so).

I got the book last Tuesday, and read it cover to cover, and started the new workout Wednesday. By Thursday, I had (literally) ripped the soles off of my gym shoes for my DL on Friday. I have made a lot of changes, but I have some questions about whether the changes I made are a bad idea.

First, I workout on MWF. Instead of always doing bench and deadlift, I alternate between doing bench and squat together, and DL and military press together. Is that going to lower the frequency for those exercises too much?

Second, instead of dropping the weight a second time for the 3rd and subsequent sets, I keep it at 90% of the original weight. It seems that this is a compromise between size and strength, but I worry that it might be a bad compromise...

The schedule is fine in terms of frequency for the Bear.

I'm not sure if your combination of lifts is ideal.  I think more people do BP + DL one day and MP + SQ the next session, but I'm not sure why and I hope someone else will offer advice on this.  I think it might have to do with stress on the lower back from both MP and DL.  I have combined 1-armed overhead pressing with DL successfully but generally avoid 2-arm overhead pressing, with barbell or kettlebell, on DL days.

The purpose of the second drop in weight is to allow you to do many sets on short rests. If the weight is too heavy, you won't recover sufficiently to do that, or you will find you have to stop before you've achieved the desired volume.

-S-

It all depends on your goals. Try doing the program as writen for a couple konths to see how youblike the results. I hope to try the bear when I'm done with s&s. But I have along time before then!

I’m not sure if your combination of lifts is ideal.  I think more people do BP + DL one day and MP + SQ the next session, but I’m not sure why and I hope someone else will offer advice on this.
The only reason I do it is because I Like doing bench the best, and squats the least. Might sound silly, but that combination gives me something to look forward to each workout. I'd definitely switch if there are advantages though.

It all depends on your goals. Try doing the program as writen for a couple konths to see how youblike the results. I hope to try the bear when I’m done with s&s. But I have along time before then!
The only thing keeping me from dropping the weight for the third and subsequent sets is foolish pride. I didn't want to go below 2 plates for the BP, and 3 plates for the DL. At least, that was the initial reason, but now (only 4 workouts in though) it "feels" like the right way to go.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom