all posts post new thread

Barbell PTTP singles practice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

WhatWouldHulkDo

Level 8 Valued Member
I've been doing PTTP deadlifts for just about 2 months now. I'm planning to keep running it through the TSC in April, but at the same time, I figure I should start getting in some practice doing singles closer to 1RM.

Any thoughts on how to get some heavy singles practice into PTTP without getting completely away from the program?

I was thinking, maybe twice a week, throw in a single between the work sets, and maybe drop the second set to 4 reps.

First as a disclaimer I haven't done PTTP. I have deadlifted frequently, and infrequently, though.

I would start about four weeks out before the event. First pick a couple of days that and the next week and do something like 3, 3, 1, 1, 1 a day. For the last couple of weeks pick a single day when you do that same thing, but start doing the other days lighter and taking rest days. For the week of the TSC I would only do a light day a couple of times that week.

I've been doing PTTP deadlifts for just about 2 months now. I'm planning to keep running it through the TSC in April, but at the same time, I figure I should start getting in some practice doing singles closer to 1RM.

Any thoughts on how to get some heavy singles practice into PTTP without getting completely away from the program?

I was thinking, maybe twice a week, throw in a single between the work sets, and maybe drop the second set to 4 reps.
Run a peaking cycle now - add weight, lower the reps, work towards a heavy single to see where you are. Then regroup, start over, and aim the next peak at the TSC.

-S-

Do you do five days in a row?

Do Russian PTTP, 5/3/2, and a few heavy singles after it on your last day of the week.

You could also work up to a heavy single in a few sets and do your PTTP as backoff work on your last day of the week.

I go a bit heavier on my last day of the week and I am ready to go again after two days off.

Learning to strain is a skill.

Thanks for the advice, all. My takeway is I really have to change to something else for a bit, not try to just sneak the singles in around what I'm currently doing.

Learning to strain is a skill.

Exactly this. Big difference between estimating 1RM from lower reps, and actually doing it.

Yes, I'm doing 5 days in a row. The 5/3/2 sounds like a good way to steer it.

Just read the 5-week plan more closely, says "do no more pulls than listed".

Urgh, now at a crossroad... I've been really enjoying the high-frequency program, do I shift off it for a month... not having trained for specifically for competitions before, I'm not use to making such large shifts in focus.

EDIT: Also just realized I'm probably not the in right range for the program after all.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom