all posts post new thread

Old Forum PTTP w/ "Trap-Bar" Deadlift (& OH Press)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ulysses

Level 1 Valued Member
Anyone have any experience running PTTP using a trap-bar (or heavy dumbbells) rather than a standard barbell?  I ask because I'm thinking of switching from strict S&S to S&S/PTTP in two-week blocks a la Easy Strength once I can easily do get-ups and swings with a respectable amount of weight ("Simple" S&S goal, for instance).

I don't have particularly easy access to a barbell but I do have some heavy duty dumbbell handles and about 380 pounds of weight plates for 'em sitting in my closet, so I figure I could do the PTTP portion with "trap-bar" deadlifts (i.e. dumbbell deadlifts with the dumbbells at my sides) and overhead presses.  Just thought I'd test the waters and see if anyone has tried something like this.  Cheers y'all!

Dylan,

Yes.  Dumbbells are okay but draggy.  Shop for a cheap used bar that is compatible with the plates you own.  Press with kettlebells.

Cheers for the prompt reply Matt!
"Dumbbells are okay but draggy.  Shop for a cheap used bar that is compatible with the plates you own.  Press with kettlebells."
Assuming you've used kettlebells for pressing in the context of PTTP before, how did you progress?  I'm assuming some sort of ladder format?

The point is that the KB press is ergonomic.  Stick with them if you take on more work, like the ROP.  I'm no programming expert.

I've done PTTP with trap bar DLs. It's great, as long as you aren't looking for specific carryover to regular DL or SQ.

However, I would NOT recommend using dumbbells for DL.

Unless you are using 45lb olympic plates (or plate with an equivalent diameter), you will have range of motion issues.

But most importantly, 90% of your effort and attention will (and should) end up focused on not smashing your feet.

Cheers Steve!  I'm mostly just a guy who lifts weights as a hobby/to keep myself from slowly wasting away as I age, so I don't have any need to excel in any competition lift specifically.

Thanks for the advice Pavel!  If I may, why is it that a trap bar would challenge my grip more than a pair of dumbbells?  I figure if the weight and grip thickness are the same for the dumbbell as they are for the trap bar they'd each challenge my grip about equally.  I'd definitely be interested to know if there's some variable that I'm not taking into account here though.  Thanks again!

Hi Dylan,

please read again: "trap bar is fine; dumbells are not". I see (at least) 2 reasons

to get to a challenging weight with dumbells of common length you need 10kg plates or heavier > due to the diameter you are forced to hold them away from your legs, like starting shoulder side lifts (beside of the stress on arm & shoulders it targets the weakest point of your grip instead of your deadlift muscles). no need to repeat the obvious danger Steve raised rightfully.
the trapbar has a stable structure in it self and holds the weights away from your legs. Simplifying: you can focus on lifting the load upwards. The 'proper' DL remains more interesting ;-)

Cheers,

Sven

Dylan:  With a straight bar you can do mixed grip.  If you think about it, a trap bar is sort of mixed grip by definition (not a lot of torque on grip).  Heavy dumbbells will want to roll right out of your hands and will burn out your grip before your posterior chain.

Big ups to both Sven and ctuozzolo for the knowledge.  Thanks guys: Both your points make the kind of sense such that I'm a little frustrated I didn't think of them myself.  :)  Cheers!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom