all posts post new thread

Barbell PTTP with Skipping Rope

WhomtheBellTolls

Level 5 Valued Member
In Pavels book PTTP he says you can do skipping (Jump Rope) for your Cardio, along side your press and Deadlift,
My question is how would you program the Skipping these days?

I go about it like this:
start with 30sec work, 30 rest
When you manage to do 30-40 min and pass the talk test change the work to rest ration by 5 seconds in favor of the former, so 35 sec work, 20 sec rest.

If you have a HR monitor - skip until you raise your HR to 75%HRMax, rest until 60%HRMax.
The first protocol is just guesstimation of how much time it will take one to fit into those parameters.

The method is called basement tempos.

Option 3: set the timer for 20+ mins and just learn some tricks. Stop before you get breatheless.

In Pavels book PTTP he says you can do skipping (Jump Rope) for your Cardio, along side your press and Deadlift,
My question is how would you program the Skipping these days?
Are you new to skipping or already experienced and looking for programming ideas?

I recently (a few months) started doing a lot of rope skipping for cardio and really enjoying it. I don't program it systematically. My session times vary from 10 minutes to over 45 minutes, depending on my schedule and how I feel, and I use a variety of work/rest schemes; I'm always experimenting and changing up my work/rest schemes for variety, to see how different schemes feel, and to provide some general progression over time.

I started with :30/:30, and I still use that scheme for long easy sessions, but my work times go up to 2:00 and my work:rest ratios go from 1:1 to 3:1. I'm also experimenting with using side swings to break up longer continuous sets. Basically, I just try to keep the overall effort easy to moderate.

Due to some chronic ankle injuries from basketball, I can only really jump off two feet and am somewhat limited in the continuous time I can jump. But I've found that rope skipping is very low impact (you just have to jump high enough to clear the rope, which is less than a centimeter), and much more tolerable for me than running, which I really can't do at all, or even walking (although I can do Nordic walking with poles to provide some deloading to my ankles, plus upper body involvement).

Because of my injuries, I'm very limited in the kind of footwork I can do. But learning tricks is great because it gives you something to concentrate on and play around with, adds some movement variety to skipping -- and missing while learning new skills provides natural rest breaks.

Last edited:
Just looking for program ideas… Strongfirst has all these strong endurance protocols like A+A.
Just looking at how to apply them to skipping as I want to do a PTTP cycle without losing my conditioning

Just looking for program ideas… Strongfirst has all these strong endurance protocols like A+A.
Just looking at how to apply them to skipping as I want to do a PTTP cycle without losing my conditioning
I just use rope skipping as my low intensity cardio, so the programming doesn't need to be fancy -- just get the heart rate moderately elevated and accumulate time there.

I suppose if you were doing things at a higher intensity, such as double or triple unders or using a heavy rope, that could be adapted to A+A/Strong Endurance repeat method protocols.

I have done some double under skipping using the Q&D 044 template. Works pretty well for me as I gas out after about 30s. 20 D/U’s takes me 12s or so.

I have a cheap, light, speed rope and just skip for 30 minutes straight without rest. Always feel good after. If you can’t do 30 minutes straight then just start with 10 minutes and slowly build up…

just thinking out loud… So skipping is more of an endurance exercise?
Would this work? skipping until stop signs say out of breath or when your calf muscles just start to burn and call it a day.
It should work as auto regulation and the time spent skipping should gradually increase over time.
Does that sound like something worth doing?

Back
Top Bottom