all posts post new thread

Old Forum Pull Up GTG

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

John Spezzano

Level 6 Valued Member
Senior Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Hi all,

I am OK at pull ups because I just don't have enough time to work on everything but I can crank out 10. (Number 8, 9 and 10 are adequate at best.) Since hitting the 44k PR on my press I've been greasing the groove with doubles with the 32k followed by a single with the 36k and once a day I hit the 40k for a single on each side (that's my 1/2 body weight press). It's been working great. The 40k is actually easier now than during the press program! (Mainly because my shoulder doesn't hurt any more...)

In any event, I want to grease the pull up. I've done the fighter pull up program and it bugs my tendinitis. I've done Steve Friedes' pull up program and it's great but I can't commit that much time to the pull up. So I'm wondering if any of you have suggestions for how many reps to grease for the pull up. I can do 5 chest to bar solid so should I do 2 or 3? Or mix it up with different numbers during the day?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Do 2 reps the first week then bump it up to 3 the second week if it feels right. You should never struggle to get a rep. Pausing for one second at the top and bottom of the movement will make you stronger and help up your reps. Because you are starting at 2 add a rep every week until you reach 5 then stay at the same number for 2-4 weeks before you move up. Test your 1rm on an off day every 2-4 weeks.

Do between 5-20 sets a day. Take it easy for the first month. A set every 2 hours will get you 5, every hour 10, and every half hour 20. Mix up the sets and reps from day to day. Stay at 33-50% of your 1rm until you have this program dialed (at least 3-4 months) and then you can add 1 or 2 reps past 50%. At a 1rm of 14 I have done 20 sets of 8 and 10 sets of 10 while still feeling fresh.

You can add weight when you can do 10-20 bodyweight pull ups. Some people are ready at 10 but many would be better off waiting until they reach 15-20.

John, I'd start w sets of 4 or 5 reps.  Doing more overall volume is the key, and you aren't going to improve on 10 reps as you max by doing doubles.  Mix in some singles, doubles and triples with added weight.

But why work on more than 10 reps?  Why not work on your 1RM instead, which will likely get you more reps @ bodyweight, anyway?

-S-

Steve, I was under the impression that 5 was his max with good form. After taking the summer off from pull ups I grabbed the bar and squeaked out 10 reps with lousy form. I ended up doing 10/8/6/4/2 but when I took another shot at the fighter pull up program, pulling my neck to the bar with one second pause at top and bottom of the movement, I started with 6/5/4/3/2. If he does 5 chest to bar pull ups with a pause throughout the day I don't see how he can remain fresh.

Nick, max means max. My max deadlifts aren’t pretty but they’re the way I get the most weight moved. If John can do 10 adequate bodyweight tactical pullups (I assume he means TSC-legal) and 5 beautiful ones, 5 is still 50% of his max reps.

Seeing a video of John’s 10-rep set would help shed light on exactly what we’re talking about, and I do see your point, but I stand by mine – if he can get his throat to the bar for 10, he should work on sets of about half that for GTG.

I have never done the fighter pullup program so I can’t comment on it. I prefer to spend most of my pullup energy on weighted work. I will note that I have done 21 bw pullups and 19 while holding a 20-lb. dumbbell between my feet, which suggests to me that I could do more than 21 bw pullups if I want to work on that but I don’t.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom