all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pull ups,

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Maverick1

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi Eveyone
I’m new to the forum but looking forward to being part of the team.
I’m a 56 yr old male, 82kg getting back into fitness after a long illness. Never done callisthenics before but very keen to start. Currently Iooking to be able to do pull ups but don’t yet have the strength to do 1 decent one so looking for some help and advice as to how to train to go from 0 to 10 good pull ups. Thanks in advance. Mav

Hi Mark,
I have access to a weight bench with barbell and dumbbell weights. I have a pull up bar and a pull up band. I have also made a pole that I can practice inverted rows.
Thanks
Mav

Hi @Maverick1 , welcome to the forum.

I've used assisted pull-ups like these to get from 0 rep to 3. I also did singles in a GTG fashion on alternate days. I'd do higher volume assisted rep days and GTG single days. Also working on hollow body hangs will help.

I would suggest to start with dead hangs and hollow body hangs.
Try to see how long can you actively hang on the bar and do sets of only half that time. And do as many sets as you can but stay fresh at the end, don't go all out. You can do them in a GTG style and do a few sets throughout the day if you can but only 1 set per session. If not just one session a day is also fine just don't go all out.
After a week add some slow negatives.
Then you can try to use a chair to do some assisted ones and another way I like to use as a progression for new students is to start in a dead hang and pull as high as you can for a few sets and then start at the top position and go as low as you can in order to pull yourself up to the bar again and aim to go lower and lower but always make it up to the top. Sets and reps very low of course.
As for the equipment you have, presses will help you with the pull ups. Just makes sure that you're actively pulling the dumbbell from the top position and have your lats always engaged.
I hope it helps. If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Hello,

@Maverick1
I made Madame going from 0 to 5 sets of 2 in about 3 months using :
- assisted pull ups with resistance band using GTG. First, it was a thick band. Then a thiner one. Simultaneously, I made her doing lock offs (top, middle, bottom, 3-5s each).
- using the same bands, 2x a week, 5 sets of 3, with 5 minutes rest.

After a while, she made her 1 strict pull up. So the hardest part is done. Then, it is just GTG with strict pull up and lock off.

2x a week, in addition of GTG, 5 sets of 2. Some push ups to get a push motion and balancing agonist / antagonist.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Welcome @Maverick1 - good to see another youngster on the forum. I agree with the assisted pullups, dead hangs, and negatives as a way to train pullups. I've had to relearn doing them three separate times from zero starting at your age and later, so I'm looking forward to your progress. I didn't see it mentioned, but if you're carrying some extra kg's., losing any excess also works on attaining a pullup from the opposite direction.

Hi Mark,
I have access to a weight bench with barbell and dumbbell weights. I have a pull up bar and a pull up band. I have also made a pole that I can practice inverted rows.
Thanks
Mav
If you can practice inverted rows I would go there with a grip that feels good to you. After a while, or now if possible, elevate your feet to put more weight on your body and provide more resistance. If you have access to barbell plates you can eventually add a 10-45 pound plate to your mid-section with your feet elevated. You would be amazed at the amount of strength you can add. This practice was used at a command I was stationed at to get Sailors to pass the Marine Corps pull up test, you would be amazed at the amount of people in their 20's that can't do 1 let alone the 3 that are required for a minimum. All the other recommendations are solid as well, just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps

Thanks Shawn,
Really good advice, thank you
What sort of sets and reps would you recommend, and should I train doing inverted rows every day or every other day.
Thanks for your time

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom