all posts post new thread

Barbell Pulling Blocks

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
This is one of those products that makes me say, "Why didn't I think of that?" Having said that, I would be very leery of dropping a barbell on these even with bumper plates (like for Olympic pulls).

Haven't used those but something similar. Too much work with stacking and then putting away plates. I'd complain about the surface but that may have been the one I used. Greatly prefer the cheap old wood with carpet remnants blocks.

Looks useful. Interesting that there is a also a Rogue that looks like the identical design but costs about twice as much. Not sure what, if any, difference there might be.

I've done rack pulls significantly heavier than my DL 1RM and want to experiment with this more as an assistance lift/variation. I worry about damaging the safeties in my very old power rack.

-S-

As always, Titan is Chinese-made knockoffs of Rogue products. Doesn't mean it's junk, it just means some time back somebody bought a Rogue product and shipped it China to be made more cheaply and re-imported. Pick your poison.

@Geoff, I envy your handiness.

I found these: DC Blocks

dc-blocks-web1.jpg

second-hand and bought them. I'll report on how they are in use once I get to give them a try.

-S-

I know it's not exactly the same. But sometimes I like to do overload work with accommodating resistance. I have 2 25 lb chains (so 50 lbs). So since my weak spot is just off the floor, I can add 50 lbs to the bar, via chains, and still work the upper range of movement via an overload.

Is this a reason why most of you use blocks?

@william bad butt, if you weak spot is just off the floor - mine is, too - why would you want to overload the upper range of the movement? I've already done a AWA lift from high rack pins where I pulled over 405 (or maybe it was 415?) and I don't need to be stronger that. I need to address my start, so my thinking is that by using blocks, I can load up to past my 1RM and then gradually lower the blocks. The old-timers used to do this by standing in a hole and gradually fill up the hole with dirt.

I'm looking to get used to doing something similar to my full-range DL with a heavier weight. Somehow, the chains idea doesn't seem like the same thing to me since there isn't the possibility of my weak point getting taxed more.

-S-

I've actually kept a barbell - and squat stands - outside for months when working on the Inman mile, but the stuff gets rusty so not my first choice, and even then, only in the warmer weather. I wouldn't start outdoor lifting for another few weeks here.

The thought did occur to me, however! :)

The Inman training worked perfectly because there's a meet every October I can do, so training for six months up to it allows all the training to be in reasonably warm weather.

-S-

If your deadlift trouble spot is in the start, wouldn't you want to look at the deficit deadlift?

"A deficit deadlift is a deadlift performed while standing on a weight plate or short platform, usually around one to four inches high. It's often used as assistance work for those that have trouble in the first stage of the deadlift. The increased range of motion also recruits more of the posterior chain and quads."

In Defense of Deficit Deadlifts | T Nation

Carl in Dover

Steve, different strokes for different folks I guess.

I've never done block pull deadlifts, however, I can clearly see that lowering the block, over time, would make one stronger. It's another form of progressive overload, the weight is not increasing but the range of motion is.

Towards the tail end of a peaking cycle, I like to do heavy deadlifts (at or even above 100% max) with chains. If I were to fail (I don't actually fail, FYI, only in theory), it is not on the floor, but actually right below my knees (a few inches from the floor). Overloading with accommodating resistance forces me to be more explosive (I'm a Grinder, by my nature) to blow last my sticking point. It also builds confidence when I do lift a max weight (knowing that I've lifted more than this before).

After a heavy deadlift with chains, then I like to remove the chains, drop the weight down to 50 or 60% of max, and do deadlifts where I pause right below my knees (2 sec count or so).

Carl, I like deficit deadlifts too. However, I don't do them as often anymore because i struggle to maintain my same regular deadlifting form. I find that it becomes a different movement for me (like sumo vs conventional). It's not a bad thing, I just avoid them when aIm peaking.

@Carl in Dover, maybe it's because I'm more flexible than most, but I have essentially no more difficulty pulling from a 3" deficit than from the floor. I did a number of 330 lb. lifts on a 3" platform in preparation for my recent meet and they didn't feel difficult in any way.

I've had training cycles in the past where deficit deadlifting really helped but, for whatever reason, this time, it didn't seem to make much difference.

-S-

The pulling blocks are useful. I have more than I need.

Inman - yeah, that training starts soon.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom