all posts post new thread

Old Forum Pure strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

alf

Level 1 Valued Member
Guys any advise about my  strength program,

I am using  a 5/3/1  ( Instead of 5x5 ,I don't want put any mass at all)

for the main lift:

A)deadlift (5/3/1)

assisted

double kb swing  32kg

farmer 's walk or shrug

chin up

B) bench press (5/3/1)

assisted

weighted dip

clap push up

one arm push up

C) zercher squat/front squat

TGU

kb snatch

hang rise

Yes, Pavel I'm using 5/3/1 as a basic and then I'am adding kb  for assistance , because no one can argue the benefit of kb swing to increase deadlift for example!

Except that is not really 5/3/1. Listen to Pavel and assess what you are doing.

Do you own Wendler's book?

Alf, your program has a lot of conflicts: chinups after farmer's walks; clapping pushups after dips; OAPs after dips, etc.

Designing a program or tweaking an existing one takes years and even decades of experience.  Creativity without basics' mastery is always a bad idea, in any field.

I understand Pavel thank!

i don't want be cocky ...I just  need some advise to combine some strength program with a kb!

without any increase of mass at all. I also want replace  back squat with zercher a/o front squat.

I am no teacher here but just a student! with a passion and love for training!

Alf, the original - in my mind, anyway - "get stronger without gaining mass" program is Pavel's, "Power To The People!"  It was my introduction to Pavel's work and I think it must be 15 years old or more, but it is _still_ a great program, and _still_ one of the best reads around about how to gain strength without gaining mass.

Another good choice is Easy Strength, and after you read PTTP, you'll understand why.

-S-

With the streamlined Power to the People program (2x5) I was able to move my pulls to the mid 400's. It was only at this point that I pared things down to a 3-2-1 + "budges" program upon advice from Pavel and further improved to 580lbs. All at a BW of 167.  My Military Press moved to 165 and it was the FCT or Ab wheel for my core.

simple,direct,brutal,

trend

Trend, could you say a little more about and perhaps provide links to the 3-2-1 you followed and also "budges?"

Many thanks.

-S-

Certainly. I did 3-2-1 reps with 10-15 pound increases, e.g. 440x3, 450x2, 460x1. With a heavy 'budge' a couple of inches off the floor after the double.... 440x2, 450x2, 470-500xbudge, 460x1.  Budges are simply taking a supramximal weight and moving it a few inches off the ground. A far safer alternative to the Bob Peoples' negatives I'd considered! I hope I haven't digressed too much, I only hope to make the point that simplicity forced internalized effort and focus. I pushed and pulled while taking no liberties with the program and approached strength development as practicing a skill.

simple,direct,brutal,

trend

Very good - thank you for taking the time to explain.  Food for thought there.

-S-

Comrade Trend, that method sounds very interesting!

Comrade Alf, pick 5 exercises and follow Pavel's "Mind Over Muscle" program from Beyond Bodybuilding. Pretty sure you can get away with throwing in some swings/snatches!

Also, take it from somebody who has bulked: gaining mass is not easy, and your diet is usually the deciding factor. Practice "dinner plate push-aways" and you won't gain much, if any, mass.

Trend, do you pull sumo or conventional?  Is your sticking point off the floor or at lockout (or something else)?

Thanks.

-S-

Thank all of you guys!  "Power to the people" sound awesome!! But I'll add snatch,swing and tgu! :)

Trend, your "budges" are very smart.  They develop the starting strength (key for a tall conventional puller like yourself) while getting you used to a heavier weight in a manner that is quite safe.

Thank you so much Pavel. Your guidance was a golden boon when things started getting heavy! I 'm a conventional puller Steve and my sticking point at 520+ was just below the knees. Progressive movement in the rack fixed it. Alf, I also used the kettlebell for swings and snatches, I was just cautious with volume.

simple,direct,brutal,

trend

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom