all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Push Press - Too Much Leg Drive?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tirofijo

Level 6 Valued Member
Ive been doing push presses as they seem to be a good compromise between strict pressing and jerks.

I’ve noticed that when the set gets hard, I can drive my legs a little harder and maybe dip a little more, which let’s me make the reps. I feel like I’m using my arms more in the early reps and legs more in the later reps.

Is there such thing as too much leg drive? Should I strive to use the same dip/leg drive for each rep?

Or just let my body’s desire for efficiency decide?

Or just do progressive presses:

- Start by doing strict presses.

- When form breaks down, switch to push presses.

- And when you feel that you are using too much leg drive, finish with jerks.

What are you trying to achieve?

Short cycle C&J is about lifting a max tonnage in a limited time (work capacity), so plenty of leg drive helps.

If you cannot strict MP a kb then Push pressing maybe an intermediate option and reduicing leg drive would help develop shoulder strength

@Tirofijo, IMO, the benefit of the pushpress is its ability to teach using leg drive to help an upper body movement. As such, I would keep the focus on leg drive and use only what upper body pressing strength you need. If you've got leg strength to spare at the beginning of your sets, you might consider reducing the reps while increasing the weight so that you need that leg drive from the beginning.

Of course, this isn't the only way one can use a pushpress, but it's something to consider.

-S-

What are you trying to achieve?

Short cycle C&J is about lifting a max tonnage in a limited time (work capacity), so plenty of leg drive helps.

If you cannot strict MP a kb then Push pressing maybe an intermediate option and reduicing leg drive would help develop shoulder strength

What I'm trying to accomplish - I just wanted something different from another cycle of clean and strict press like in ROP or some of the other pressing programs.

I've been reading about a few folks raving about the jerk, which has me curious. But at the same time, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see my strict press improve. (I"m not yet at a 1/2 BW press, so I've not come close to reaching my potential.)

I chose the push press as a compromise. A compromise in two ways - a little easier to get the technique down pat, and requires more activation from the 'press muscles'.

I've been doing push presses for 4 or 5 sessions. I'm surprised how differently it effects me compared to the clean and press. I can do hard set of 5 c&p and not breath heavy or sweat. A set of 5 short cycle push presses (with a heavier bell, naturally) causes me to start dripping sweat and sends my heart rate up (to what I don't know. Not through the roof but definitely higher.) That leg drive really makes a difference.

So far I'm liking it. I only hope that if I test my strict press max in 3 months I don't find that it didn't change.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom