all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Push up and pull up - best practices

Hi!
I'm looking to make strength gains, not endurance, with push ups and pull ups. What is an ideal volume, frequency, rest, sets, and reps for these per workout and per the week of I'm at the gym 4 days a week? I'm working on getting both movements as explosive as possible, so moving towards heavier weighted pull ups and decline clapping push ups. TIA!

Hi;

If you are after strength gains, then I would recommend SF bodyweight articles. Free articles are the best BW sources that I am aware of including honestly paid ones and NW is the best BW strength book IMHO.

SF bodyweight course is a great source as well. I know people that are not very satisfied with its programming part however IMHO it gives very solid recommendations on programming.

Also please check SFB certification requirements, and the videos that demonstrates standards. OAOL push up and tactical pull up are real strength moves IMHO.

There are articles about explosive push ups as well.

I believe Pavel’s 3-5 program would work nicely with a 4 days a week schedule.

“That first exposure to Pavel was phenomenal. He outlined a very simple, straightforward plan to complete strength. He called it 'the 3 to 5 Plan'. Three to five, or even two, exercises for the whole body. 3-5 days between workouts. 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps. 3-5 minutes rest between sets. That's it. Very simple. Very effective. Very Pavel. “

“That first exposure to Pavel was phenomenal. He outlined a very simple, straightforward plan to complete strength. He called it 'the 3 to 5 Plan'. Three to five, or even two, exercises for the whole body. 3-5 days between workouts. 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps. 3-5 minutes rest between sets. That's it. Very simple. Very effective. Very Pavel. “
I've seen this 3-5 prescription for years, but I think I've always read that one should do the workout 3-5 days per week. Am I mistaken?

I've seen this 3-5 prescription for years, but I think I've always read that one should do the workout 3-5 days per week. Am I mistaken?
In the book he says, “3-5 days rest in between exercises” but not “workout 3-5 days a week.” So it is quite clear in the book although not only I was confused, I also have seen people who were confused. But I assume one can still work out 3-5 days a week by following the protocol that Pavel gave but not by training all the exercises all the days. But again this is what I understand from the protocol.

For me, the best results I had were when I was practicing Pull-ups every day but at a relatively low volume, and with additional weight, 6-10 kg, but that is up to you how heavy can you go. Sets of 3-5 reps are the best approach.

In the book he says, “3-5 days rest in between exercises” but not “workout 3-5 days a week.” So it is quite clear in the book although not only I was confused, I also have seen people who were confused. But I assume one can still work out 3-5 days a week by following the protocol that Pavel gave but not by training all the exercises all the days. But again this is what I understand from the protocol.
The book Ege is referencing is Beyond Bodybuilding, and the 3-5 workout is on page 4. In one example you train the same workout/lift combo 3x in two weeks (Monday-Friday-Wednesday) and in a second example you train 3x a week and alternate two different workouts.

Reactions: Ege
Back
Top Bottom