all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pushup Experiment Results

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

D-Rock

Level 5 Valued Member
I recently did my own 30 day experiment on pushups. I have long wondered what an alactic-aerobic style program could do for my pushups.

Rules:
The sessions were 100 pushups done in sets of 10. Sessions were every day whenever I could fit them in. I did miss a few here and there due to extraneous circumstances, but I got 22 total sessions. I had to have a HR of at least 80 prior to starting the session. I had to let my HR go back down to at least 90 before starting the next set. Data that I tracked were a pre-test max pushup reps, HR after the set, RPE (1-10, 10 being max effort) of the set, time taken to recover (reach HR 90) between sets), total time taken to complete the session, and post-test max reps. I did no other upper body work during the 30 days.

Confounding variables:
I was untrained, not having done pushups or even much strength training for a couple months, and I did a decent amount of aerobic work by hiking/walking in those times.

Results:
My total time for the first workout was 28 min. 35 seconds. 2nd workout took 50 minutes! Then a significant drop and at 2-3 weeks I was getting consistent times between 14 and 18 minutes, and even a session that was close to 12 minutes! But then I caught a nasty cold, and it was pretty obvious my system was taking a hit. Week 4 my times were back up around 30 minutes and I even was having trouble getting my HR down to 80 to start the session.

HR spikes after sets at beginning of the experiment was around 130 and even some 140's. It was pretty consistent 100-110 at 2-3 weeks, then climbed back up to 120-130 when sick.

RPE of the 10 rep set was about 6 and climbed to 7 or even a few 8's by end of workout in the beginning of the experiment. End of the experiment was staying around 4 most of the time with a few 5's and a few 3's.

And finally max reps!
Pre-test: 25
Post-test: 37!!
A 48% increase!
Strict form, touching chest to floor and locking out elbows, controlled speed no bouncing and no resting between reps.

Some thoughts:
Pre-test made me sore, post-test was easy to recover from. I was not pushing myself, the times solely depended upon how long it took to recover between sets. The workout did not negatively affect me, I was never fatigued afterward. My post-test could have potentially been higher if I was not still ill. My shoulders felt great, even more "solid" throughout. I took no specific weight or body composition measurements but my chest, shoulders and arms seemed bigger and my stomach seemed leaner. A 48% increase without being sore or tired or pushing myself in only 22 sessions was a good result for me!

Last edited:
Nice results, and great reporting!

Thank you!

@natewhite39 I remember you commenting on a thread awhile back that you did a decent volume of two-handed pushups per month. What are some ways you program them, sets and reps etc?

@D-Rock Yes, I have been programming in 2,000 push-ups per month since September. I was dealing with an elbow pain issue and chalked it up to an unbalanced training program with too much military pressing and not enough anterior chain stability.

The body manages stability proximal (middle) to distal (away from the middle). The push-up is basically a moving plank so now I do anywhere from 50 to 150 per day and the pain is gone.

Hello,

@D-Rock
Nice results and great increase ! Congrats' !

Do you plan to train other moves like that, using HR monitor ?

For instance, I guess this kind of training can be pretty usefull in everyday life if you do it with swings or squats.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Funny because I did the same 10X10 pushups routine this summer in addition to one arm pushups (far fewer of course!), chinups, pistols. As far as getting and staying in shape goes, I don't think anyone can dis the pushup as a great way to do that!

@pet' thank you sir! As a sidenote, I did things the old fashioned way...counting my pulse against a watch. I am normally a low tech person, but a HR monitor would be so useful and convenient, and is on the list of things to get!

Do you plan to train other moves like that, using HR monitor ?

For instance, I guess this kind of training can be pretty useful in everyday life if you do it with swings or squats.

Yes, I have. This is a very fun way to train and I am beginning to see the possibilities. I am toying with the idea of doing some crawling, step-ups, or squats like this. I have done some bodyweight squats in a similar manner.

My pushup experiment and checking my heart rate randomly when doing other activities has given me a decent intuition of how hard I am working. Since I do not have a monitor, I have been experimenting with going by feel. Instead of checking my pulse, I simply slow down the rate/stop the set/take a break when I feel the need such as feeling a stress response, feeling my heart pound, mouth breathing, or feeling the burn.

@pet' what moves have you done, what set/rep schemes have you used, and what effects have you noticed?

As far as getting and staying in shape goes, I don't think anyone can dis the pushup as a great way to do that!

Did you notice anything such as increased endurance, more energy throughout the day, or anything else?

Also, did you feel the addition of the one-arm pushups to your higher volume regular pushups added to your max reps/pushup endurance?

Did you notice anything such as increased endurance, more energy throughout the day, or anything else?

Also, did you feel the addition of the one-arm pushups to your higher volume regular pushups added to your max reps/pushup endurance?
I don't know what I'm supposed to have noticed, but I thought the 2 handed pushups helped a bit with giving my body the stiffness to stay in position for the one handed pushups but I don't think the one handed pushups did anything for getting better at the two handed ones.

I didn't notice any improvements in endurance or energy during the day at all but I did notice nice muscular development.

Swinging the kettlebell and the getups definitely perk me up but I didn't feel perked up much with pushups. I did feel a bit perked up but nothing like with the kettlebell exercises. The pullups made me feel pretty pumped though. I don't know... maybe my memory is getting rusty though.

Very similar to my results. I did not notice a huge increase in total body or daily energy or anything (I did feel very powerful in the pushup movement itself though, an increased sense of energy there). The pushup doesn't effect the amount of muscle mass and supporting/locomotive musculature (legs, core) that swings or squats would...so maybe that's why there wasn't as much of an energy increase as I suspected.

Also, your addition of OAPU reminded me of the protocol in this blog that attacked both the endurance and pure strength components
How to Build Your Slow Fibers, Part II

Even though the methods we used to build work capacity was different (alactic volume vs. targeting slow twitch), I was curious if your addition of a "pure strength" move like the protocol helped at all with endurance and max numbers. I had been considering OAPU with 10x10 but tried this experiment instead.

I don't think the "pure strength" OAPU helped at all with 2HPU endurance.

Again, I might be missing something I'm supposed to see or to have noticed, but I don't think the bodyweight stuff I did is anywhere near as good as kettlebell training in terms of fostering overall energy, fitness or well being, but it is good for raw strength. The one arm pushups are amazing as a kind of all body press, and the pistols sure made me much better at hiking up mountains - not endurance wise but strength wise. The chinups I did (and I did a lot of them) approached closer to the feelings of increased energy I get with S&S than did the OAPUs and pistols. I don't know why that would be the case, but I'll go out on a limb and guess that it's from a greater number of muscles being triggered? Also, something just feels "strong" about gripping something as opposed to merely pushing on it.

Amazing stuff all of it and it changed my life and is changing my life more and more the more I learn.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom