all posts post new thread

Strong Endurance Q&D alternative moves/exercises

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I like the general protocol but also enjoy some variety in the lifts and movements I do.
You can do other exercises AFTER QD or off days for variety, no?
Yeah. If you like Q&D, but want some more variety or have other drills you want to train, there are lots of ways those things can coexist with Q&D without shoehorning them into the Q&D format.

Q&D is very flexible and mostly low to medium volume (and can be ALL low to medium volume if you want it to be; that's part of the flexibility, along with the number of sessions per week), so it's compatible with a lot of other training that you might do.

I've gone through periods where I've focused on Q&D and supplemented it with a lot of unstructured supplemental/complementary/variety training (clubbells and maces, pullups, front squats, and a bunch of other stuff). And I've gone through periods where something else was my focus (such as various 3x/week C&P programs) and I used Q&D sessions as part of my supplemental/complementary/variety training.

So I'd just choose which other exercises you want to do for their own sake, without regard for how they fit the Q&D format, and then program them in a way that is suited to those drills, alongside your separate Q&D practice.

Last edited:
Q&D book about page 45 describes a criteria for for exercises suitable for usage in Q&D format for the goals set out in the book. This is the chapter where things like dips, VPP and so on are mentioned.

See video above. I found it got me strong in the standard press (can't recall my exact improvement right now) and also was a really nice upper body power move. I liked it more than the pushup as it drives home the full body connection
Good deal! I feel the same about the full body connection for presses. I do Q&D 2-3 times a week currently with the snack protocol. I’ll run it with the VPP in June and see how it goes.

See video above. I found it got me strong in the standard press (can't recall my exact improvement right now) and also was a really nice upper body power move. I liked it more than the pushup as it drives home the full body connection

I played with them for a while, but ended up discarding them because of technique pollution to my jerk.

Ive used a couple different options. As I dont believe they have the same impact as the swing or snatch I have been using these variations with athletes at the start of our workout before getting into strength work doing 2-4 rounds of one or two of the following.

DB Squat Jumps 15-25 Lbs
MB Side throw 14-20 LBS
Neutral grip Bench Press 95-115 lbs
1A LandMine Push Press 25-35lbs
Sled Sprints 10yds 50-90lbs

I would suggest looking into "lift with Holly & aaryn" go ballistic protocol... it's very similar to Q&D but allows for a variety of ballistic exercises... I know they're not associated with SF anymore over personal issues, but that doesn't mean the program isn't solid

@WhomtheBellTolls the rational behind exercise selection in Q&D is that the exercise must generate maximal power output and involve a great deal of musculature, in order to get the desired training adaptations.

The biochemical adaptations set forth in the book depend on a very rapid depletion of ATP such that the "myokinase" system can kick in. My understanding, based on the book, is that system will not kick in unless one is really doing an all-out effort. If you own a copy of the book, I suggest re-reading the chapter titled "The Emergency System."

In that very chapter, there is a section titled, "Intensity is not the effort, but the output." The short of it is that I don't see hindu squats coming close to the power output of swings, sprints, or jumps. So while you may be able to do hindu squats at a fast pace, the power output is simply not going to come close to that of powerful swings. I would be surprised if it did, were someone to test it. Hindu squats are a fantastic exercise, but they are not a power exercise. If that type of movement is something you enjoy, I would suggest squat jumps instead.

@WhomtheBellTolls the rational behind exercise selection in Q&D is that the exercise must generate maximal power output and involve a great deal of musculature, in order to get the desired training adaptations.

The biochemical adaptations set forth in the book depend on a very rapid depletion of ATP such that the "myokinase" system can kick in. My understanding, based on the book, is that system will not kick in unless one is really doing an all-out effort. If you own a copy of the book, I suggest re-reading the chapter titled "The Emergency System."

In that very chapter, there is a section titled, "Intensity is not the effort, but the output." The short of it is that I don't see hindu squats coming close to the power output of swings, sprints, or jumps. So while you may be able to do hindu squats at a fast pace, the power output is simply not going to come close to that of powerful swings. I would be surprised if it did, were someone to test it. Hindu squats are a fantastic exercise, but they are not a power exercise. If that type of movement is something you enjoy, I would suggest squat jumps instead.
Thanks for that very informative answer. I do own the book and i have only read thru it once as Im waiting to achieve Sinister before applying it and really studying the book.
Its an interesting idea on testing the power output on a hindu squat and i was womding if you had any suggestions on how to do that?
I have Kensui plate loading weight vest. If I can do the same weight squats in the same time as my swings would that have similar power output?

Thanks for that very informative answer. I do own the book and i have only read thru it once as Im waiting to achieve Sinister before applying it and really studying the book.
Its an interesting idea on testing the power output on a hindu squat and i was womding if you had any suggestions on how to do that?
I have Kensui plate loading weight vest. If I can do the same weight squats in the same time as my swings would that have similar power output?
The book recommends an accelerometer or force plate for swings. I'm not sure off hand how you would use an accelerometer for hindu squats (or that it would even give you an accurate representation of the actual force involved), and you would have to find a clinic with a force plate they would let you use. To be a good experimenter :) you would have to test hindu squats against other movements like jumps and swings.... but . . .

I can tell you right now that from a physics perspective, it is Newton's third law that propels you forward/up via "reaction force" off the ground, and as such, jumping and swinging will pretty much always produce more power.

Force = mass times acceleration, or "how much stuff is changing direction how fast."

Power= work divided by time

Work= force times distance

A short way of summarizing things is that the more force you can produce over a longer distance in a SHORTER amount of time produces more power. Thus, sprints are great. Swings/jumps also cover a respectible distance (the distance the bell/body moves).

Jumping has to produce enough force for your body to go airborn (a force greater than the mass of your body times acceleration due to gravity) while a hindu squat does not. A swing with a kettlebell has the force involved in the weight of the kettlebell, PLUS the acceleration required to swing it up after swinging it down. Ten g's is cited in the book for practitioners with a 24kg bell. That's the mass of the bell times the acceleration due to gravity ten times over. Compare the hindu squat to the jump or swing. You tell me which produces more power.

It is my understanding that reaching Simple is a more accessible benchmark for running Q&D, though strength-wise you would be more than ready if you completed Sinister. In the book, Pavel also recommends either a bodyweight bench press or the ability to do at least 20 pushups at a steady pace ( not rushing the reps, as I understand it). The rational behind having reached some level of strength before attempting Q&D is that you will not be able to generate enough power at the cadence required at low/beginner strength levels. There is a comment in the book about how beginners made gains, but more advanced practitioners made the most dramatic gains. Also, in sports science power exercises are generally recommended at something like 30-50% of your 1RM. So that's something to consider. Can you maintain MAXIMUM power in a given exercise for the prescribed reps? If not, you are not ready to use that exercise for the intended purposes of Q&D.

Alllllll of that is to say:
Use hindu squats in the format of Q&D if you want. You will certainly get stronger legs, but you will very likely not reap the biochemical benefits of the program as it is written.

@WhomtheBellTolls Sorry I'm at work I'll type a longer answer later if you like but @bluejeff seems to have it covered!

The other thing is the down phase of the movement. Where you can accelerate the down is always better for Q&D, hence overspeed swings/ snatches, and working up to banded pushups.

Pavel still recommends jump squats but not regular squats. Hindu squats are a further iteration away from jump squats. The down motion is kind of strange the way one moves the ankles in unison with hips. Great movement but not for Q&D

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom