all posts post new thread

Programming Improv Q&D off days

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Phillipsta3

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello,

Just curious as to what everyone does for the off days when following Q&D (Quick and the Dead)? I’m use to a higher frequency and I’m getting antsy. I do follow greasing the groove pull-ups so I have that as well. Just curious.

From memory on the experimental plans ( push up/swing) you could do low rep squats/ chins on the off days

So is there something that you follow as guidelines? Would power to the people be to much volume?

I was Q&D snatching and lifting 2x5 in parallel. and I found it was too much for me.

I would take note of the loading from this article...
Maybe mimic this to some extent.

Last edited:
Has anyone done this with TGU on off days?
I did it a few months ago. Looking at my log, it looks like I was alternating DL as described in the article above plus a a C&P variation, and TGU with or without double KB front squats on my days off. I felt great while following that plan. Grinds were kept pretty low volume with the exception of the TGU. I was doing 20-30 minute sessions of one rep every minute. It’s far and away my favorite lift in the sense that it always makes my body feel really good as opposed to beat up.

This is a thread that I am interested in as I am now practicing Q&D for the first time. I’d imagine off days are used based on your particular needs and goals. For me, I am doing Q&D 2-3 days per week, my off days are primarily LISS, mobility, and light prehab exercises. So far LISS has been jogging and either using HR monitor, nose breathing, or conversation/talk test as my limiter. My goal is to prepare for more specific trail running and backpacking training.

I really like TGU as well. Can be done with “lighter” weight as a wonderful mobility and recovery session on off days. I have found that well designed recovery sessions make a huge difference the following day.

Also, I’m curious if anyone does anything else immediately after Q&D such as a few sets of pull-ups, TGU, or some macebell/ club work?

Or would you just finish Q&D and do these on another day?

Just curious as to what everyone does for the off days when following Q&D (Quick and the Dead)? I’m use to a higher frequency and I’m getting antsy. I do follow greasing the groove pull-ups so I have that as well. Just curious.
Also, I’m curious if anyone does anything else immediately after Q&D such as a few sets of pull-ups, TGU, or some macebell/ club work?

Or would you just finish Q&D and do these on another day?
Q&D is pretty minimalist/low volume and mostly plays pretty well with lots of other training. I basically never think about limiting whatever else I'm doing that day or on non-Q&D days. The main accommodation I make for Q&D is that I always do it first in a session.

I've been rotating through Q&D 044 snatch sessions in several permutations, waving the session volume between 60 and 120 total reps.:
32kg x 5/2 (recently transitioned to 6/2)
32kg x 7/2 (recently transitioned to 8/2)
28kg x 12/2 (recently transitioned to 15/2).

Taking a quick look back through my training log, right after Q&D I've done sessions with some combination of 044 power pushups, double front squats, sissy squats, hack squats, ring pullups, ring dips, rows, towel curls, ring fallouts, band pull aparts, clubbell sessions of up to several hundred total reps, calf and tib work, and double outside the legs swings (typically 2x28kg x 10 x 5 sets). Plus miles of Nordic walking. Not necessarily all of those things every time, but usually several of them. I do pay attention to volume in those other drills and keep it low to moderate, although I sometimes go a little crazy with the clubbells. For instance, double FSQ or pullups might be sets of 3, 5, 7, and I'm mostly in the range of 15-30 reps total volume (per drill) for grind drills.

On non-Q&D training days, I'm doing pretty much the same thing except starting with double C&P instead of Q&D snatches. So I'm rotating between Q&D snatch days and double C&P days, with some combination of the other drills described above after the snatches or C&Ps. Most usually, I'm getting in 2 Q&D snatch days and 2 C&P days, and often 3-6 miles of Nordic Walking on non-lifting days.

I really love the Q&D format because it's so high bang for the buck in terms of time and recovery demand. Even during the school year (I'm a teacher) when I'm overwhelmed and stressed out, I can just do a Q&D session and feel like I'm maintaining a lot of different qualities. And if I have the time and mental energy I can pile on a bunch of other stuff without spreading myself too thin. I also just enjoy the rhythm of the 044 timing, with 2 sets in close succession and then a longer rest.

Last edited:
Q&D is pretty minimalist/low volume and mostly plays pretty well with lots of other training. I basically never think about limiting whatever else I'm doing that day or on non-Q&D days. The main accommodation I make for Q&D is that I always do it first in a session.

I've been rotating through Q&D 044 snatch sessions in several permutations, waving the session volume between 60 and 120 total reps.:
32kg x 5/2 (recently transitioned to 6/2)
32kg x 7/2 (recently transitioned to 8/2)
28kg x 12/2 (recently transitioned to 15/2).

Taking a quick look back through my training log, right after Q&D I've done sessions with some combination of 044 power pushups, double front squats, sissy squats, hack squats, ring pullups, ring dips, rows, towel curls, ring fallouts, band pull aparts, clubbell sessions of up to several hundred total reps, calf and tib work, and double outside the legs swings (typically 2x28kg x 10 x 5 sets). Plus miles of Nordic walking. Not necessarily all of those things every time, but usually several of them. I do pay attention to volume in those other drills and keep it low to moderate, although I sometimes go a little crazy with the clubbells. For instance, double FSQ or pullups might be sets of 3, 5, 7, and I'm mostly in the range of 15-30 reps total volume for grind drills.

On non-Q&D training days, I'm doing pretty much the same thing except starting with double C&P instead of Q&D snatches. So I'm rotating between Q&D snatch days and double C&P days, with some combination of the other drills described above after the snatches or C&Ps. Most usually, I'm getting in 2 Q&D snatch days and 2 C&P days, and often 3-6 miles of Nordic Walking on non-lifting days.

I really love the Q&D format because it's so high bang for the buck in terms of time and recovery demand. Even during the school year (I'm a teacher) when I'm overwhelmed and stressed out, I can just do a Q&D session and feel like I'm maintaining a lot of different qualities. And if I have the time and mental energy I can pile on a bunch of other stuff without spreading myself too thin. I also just enjoy the rhythm of the 044 timing, with 2 sets in close succession and then a longer rest.
Thanks! Very helpful!

indian club, club bell, mace for the frontal plane workout, they are just my choices, nothing too intense

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom