all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Q&D sprint protocol question

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Georgiaoutdoors

Level 5 Valued Member
Curious about the 10 sprint protocol in Q&D. Any ideas for alternatives to running? I don’t have any steep hills conveniently close by. I’m reluctant to do flat land on the road sprinting due to the very high impact forces and possibility of injury, although maybe I can work towards that later. What might be good alternatives?

Overspeed swings?

Spin bike?

Some other movement?

Curious about the 10 sprint protocol in Q&D. Any ideas for alternatives to running? I don’t have any steep hills conveniently close by. I’m reluctant to do flat land on the road sprinting due to the very high impact forces and possibility of injury, although maybe I can work towards that later.
I wouldn’t avoid sprinting because you don have hills. Personally, I feel hill sprints are more tilted towards strength while flatland sprints let you be maximally explosive. Get some coaching on proper sprinting form if you need. My heels don’t ever hit the ground when I do these.

-S-

Curious about the 10 sprint protocol in Q&D. Any ideas for alternatives to running? I don’t have any steep hills conveniently close by. I’m reluctant to do flat land on the road sprinting due to the very high impact forces and possibility of injury, although maybe I can work towards that later. What might be good alternatives?

Overspeed swings?

Spin bike?

Some other movement?
Joe DeFranco has a "old guy return to sprinting" protocol.

As far as alternatives to running (sprinting in particular), you can use swings, snatches, bikes/cycling, rowers ...

Drag a sled, push a prowler. Potentially push a car, but it may be tough to get overall resistance just where you want it.

There are lots of ways to “do” Q&D, but I’m having a hard time thinking of anything as a replacement for sprinting. Sprinting is sprinting, other things…aren’t.

Overspeed swings?

Spin bike?

Some other movement?

I use resistance band sprint-in-place for HIIT, works really well. Also jumprope, but you need to be good with jumping rope.

I have done it with crawling. Also the sort of 2H swings Al Ciampa describes in one of his military prep articles works well in the 044 format.

Swings​

One-hand swings should be performed as described in Simple & Sinister. Two-hand swings have to be overspeed. But here’s my version, an excerpt from my training manual:

“A proper swing is a tug-of-war between the opposing body lines: posterior v. anterior. The glutes, hamstrings, and quads forcefully catapult the bell forward, while the lats, abdominals, and hip flexors catch it and throw it back—compress the posterior spring, fire the spring, compress the anterior spring, fire that spring, then do it again. Both the hinge and plank position are maximally tight—maximum feed-forward tension—for the time the bell spends flying out, one is “relaxed- tight”.

Throw the bell from the coiled spring of the hinge into the tight plank—stay connected to the bell—”catch” it in the plank and throw it back down. Recoil the spring and snap back to plank. Repeat for a set of 10. Check your heart rate. Wow.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom