all posts post new thread

Old Forum Quest for becoming a Certified SFG

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mike Lindner

Level 5 Valued Member
My brother and I are starting our journey to becoming certified with Strong First before the end of 2013.

Right now we are in the process of the ROP and are looking to start Kettlebell Muscle along with some other programs that we have seen from Master Trainer Neupert.

Any suggestions tips or experiences that people would like to share on getting prepared to come hang with the elite?

Awesome, stlmike623!

Please be sure to get technique dialed-in by an SFG, and ROP is a good place to be, KBM, also.  And for the few months prior to the cert: volume, volume, volume.  Swing get up press squat snatch.  Volume, volume, volume.

Re-check technique...(it's baffling how many people don't do this)...  Volume, volume, rest - Cert.  Celebrate.  B-)

Thanks very much! There are a couple RKC trainers in the area that I have access to (not sure if any have switched over yet or not but either way I figure it's not a bad point of reference).

I'm planning  on starting a blog for it soon.

Nikki,

What would you consider volume?  Swings for example.  500x One-Arm swings w/ the 24kg (250x each side).  300x Two Hand swings with 32kg? 

Thanks,

Matt

Matt, sure, I'd say that sounds about right. The cert weekend is three consecutive days - full days - of swings, squats, snatches, presses and getups. Many people just aren't ready for that volume of work.

I agree with Nikki. Volume is important. But if only could only focus on one quality, it would be mastering technique as much as you can. Good technique will play a greater role in your endurance than just increasing volume. I'm not suggesting Nikki didn't pay tribute to technique - she mentioned it several times in fact. But I just want you to be sure that it comes first and it will take you a long way. When I did my first level RKC, I feel like I was always a few steps ahead of the rest, only because my technique was. Pursuing a RKC or SFG will serve you well months prior to your cert course.

Lastly, don't "cram" the few days prior to the course. Practice, but don't defeat yourself. Go into the weekend rested. Good luck!

Just my 2 cents:

If you have "kettlebell express" there are a lot of programs there that will be better choices than "kettlebell muscle" in your preparation for your SFG

"kettlebell muscle"'s primary focus is to put on as much muscle as possible

Master SFG Brett Jones' classic prep program provided all the volume and practice I needed for the weekend. http://appliedstrength.blogspot.com/2012/02/how-to-prepare-for-and-pass-rkc-by.html?m=1

main reason I'm curious about any SFG 1's past May is that while I think I could be ready by then I do not want to rush and get injured or not be ready if there are other dates I could work towards.

stlmike623,

Yes, there likely will be additional Level I SFG Certs offered in the U.S. in 2013 - however, I cannot guarantee that they will be taught by Pavel. We should have more information in the coming months. Don't hesitate to contact me with any other questions at contact@strongfirst dot com.

-Nikki

Thank you Nikki!

While it would be an honor to meet the Chairman in person, I'm sure there will be other chances to do so after I'm SFG I certified. :)

On a side note I would like to point out that St. Louis is a gorgeous city with plenty of people who I'm sure would love to join the elite ranks of StrongFirst ;-)

Once ROP is completed I'm thinking of running through a cycle of the following programs

Geoff Neupert's KB Strong + KB ONE programs (new stuff that is phenomenal BTW!)
KB Muscle (thinking the full 12 depending on what certification options I have later in the year but definitely 6 weeks for sure)
Brett Jones's RKC prep course the last couple weeks leading into the cert weekend

Any thoughts, suggestions, or otherwise on getting strong and conditioned for the cert weekend? I have every intention on showing up and passing every requirement I can because I'd like to head home with the certification and not look to schedule time after to complete my test.

I was able to pick up a copy when Geoff had the release a few weeks ago. It was a "Merry Christmas and power to me" gift.

Just to touch base....

Been working with Neuperts programs KB Strong+ One Programs with double 24kgs side by side the last couple of weeks and I can tell this was the way to go for sure. The volume of both have been challenging yet rewarding.

After this I'm going to do some lower volume work for a couple weeks and while looking into a couple routines I think will do the trick for the cert weekend. Might even steal some ideas from the videos I saw from Houston.

Looking forward to joining the ranks of the elite before long my friends!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom