all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Question on doubles

Vapidtm

Level 3 Valued Member
I read that geoff neuperts programs usually target the older “high mileage” audience. Would younger athletes benefit from his programs too such as kettlebell strong and the giant or would they benefit better from pure strength training with barbells and sprints? I am currently 22 years old competing in bjj. I am just looking to stay strong and athletic.

Last edited:
Yes, perfectly suitable.

Also, Kettlebells StrongFirst (which includes "The Best All-Around Training Method" article program) is specifically for BJJ athletes.

I read that geoff neuperts programs usually target the older “high mileage” audience. Would younger athletes benefit from his programs too such as kettlebell strong and the giant or would they benefit better from pure strength training with barbells and sprints? I am currently 22 years old competing in bjj. I am just looking to stay strong and athletic.
As Mark and Nate have said: It will work for you too.

However, I think that building a base first might be worth it.

Simple & Sinister or Kettlebells StrongFirst (KBSF) with Swings & Getups. Later KBSF with LCCJ. These are still minimalist, but offer a wider mix of adaptations than the Giant alone.

As an option, do some low volume barbell work (Deadlift and a Press) alongside it, if you recover well, or simply alternate two week blocks of PTTP with one of the programs mentioned above.

Yes, but I would encourage you to sit down, write out what you want out of your training, and then find a program that fits those goals. If you are competitive, you may have goals that would entail different programs.

Sure. I could see Strong or Giant paying big dividends.

I'd like for someone to have a Front Squat as part of their program though. The workout I had my son doing was ROP style ladders with 5 squats at the end of the ladder. The squats increased by 1 as you added ladders. You could also add in a pull up or hang after every rung. Was right in that Flow sort of workout for him - not too easy and not too hard - which is really important when programming for teens.

I might have a look at Don't Know Squat 2.0. It is quite a heavyish workout with a lot of exercise variety.

Last edited:

I'd like for someone to have a Front Squat as part of their program though. The workout I had my son doing was ROP style ladders with 5 squats at the end of the ladder. The squats increased by 1 as you added ladders. You could also add in a pull up or hang after every rung.
I agree with this.

At a minimum, I believe you need to squat, push, pull.

Yes, just don’t pick a program that says it takes a lot out of you for recovery. For example, I would hesitate to get super high number of sets when doing the giant. A little goes a long way and I would focus on training for strength and get your conditioning from rolling.

Half of Geoff’s KB Maximorum program is alternating Double Cleans and Presses with Double Front Squats. It’s a hell of a program.

I don't own that one, yet. I have a lot of others and they all seem like they would work for the level they are aimed at, so I imagine it is quite good. I really like Neupert's style of programming so much I ran Strong for 2 years.

When you get the right tier of Neupert's program for yourself, that is when it really works. It is important to know the tier of athlete the program is aimed at to choose appropriately - I believe Neupert has 5 tiers and the programs from Kettlebell Hard are mostly 5th tier eg The Wolf. I think Strong was in the middle, like 3, with the 3rd phase being one higher, like 4.

Last edited:
The workout I had my son doing was ROP style ladders with 5 squats at the end of the ladder. The squats increased by 1 as you added ladders. You could also add in a pull up or hang after every rung. Was right in that Flow sort of workout for him - not too easy and not too hard - which is really important when programming for teens.

Genius. Thanks for sharing. I'm currently doing ROP and will now start adding 5 Goblet Squats at the end of the ladder.

I'd like for someone to have a Front Squat as part of their program though. The workout I had my son doing was ROP style ladders with 5 squats at the end of the ladder. The squats increased by 1 as you added ladders. You could also add in a pull up or hang after every rung. Was right in that Flow sort of workout for him - not too easy and not too hard - which is really important when programming for teens.

I might have a look at Don't Know Squat 2.0. It is quite a heavyish workout with a lot of exercise variety.
I can confirm YDKS2.0 feels heavy and the complexes are easy to remember. I've run it with a 10RM press. My only bit of criticism is that it stops feeling effective after week 6, the 3 remaining weeks were not as enjoyable as the first 6. I'm keen to re-run it for 6 weeks only using a 5RM on the press to see what effects it might have.

I like your +1 rep squat after a ROP ladder (which stacks with +1 set as the number of ladders increase)

Would the pull in the Clean & Press be sufficient? (referring to ROP without optional pullups)
That largely depends on what your life and BJJ training look like.
At least include some squats in your warm-up or BJJ practice. (At least something like 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps with your pressing bell, or a lot of "Hindu Squats"). And possibly some type of endurance training or non-glycolytic conditioning.

You can also rotate and have a dedicated full body routine during time when your BJJ facility is closed, etc.

Back
Top Bottom