all posts post new thread

Old Forum Question to Pavel about the 40 day workout

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pnigro

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi Pavel,

I have a female friend who this year returned to weightlifting after 3 years. She used to do Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe but I suggested the 40 day workout instead.

She absolutely LOVES the philosophy of training every day with moderate-heavy weight, instead of pushing yourself hard every time you go to the gym.

Her squat 5 rep max from back in the day was 195 lbs. She started the 40 day workout with 135 lbs and after 20 workouts made a jump to 160 lbs. She's also doing bench press and deadlifts. 2x5 for all three exercises. In addition she's doing planks for 10-15 seconds and another exercise that I forgot. So far she's loving it and sometimes finish the whole thing in less than 20-25 minutes. She eventually wants to be able to squat 225 lbs with ease.

Here's the thing though, she doesn't see this as a 40 day workout. She plans on going on like this forever (months) until she can no longer add weight while keeping it easy. She likes the training philosophy.

My questions are:

Is there a problem with this?

At what point does this program stop being effective?

Should she be taking breaks every X number of weeks?

Thank you

Pnigro, let her keep going as long as she is making progress.  When it stops (who knows when), she could keep it going by adding volume and intensity variability or switch to another plan.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom