all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Random Musing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Well, I suppose that comment was meant as the end of all discussion, but I'd like to make sure that I, at least, am clear.

Don't mistake a statement that the path is clear as saying that the path is easy.

Is a lower BMI (or whatever measure you use) a worthy goal that almost anyone can achieve? Yes, I believe that is the case. Does that mean it's easy and anyone who doesn't do it is simply failing? Hell no. And of course it will come easier to some than others.

Is a 2X bodyweight deadlift a worthy goal that almost anyone can achieve? Yes, I believe that is the case. Does that mean it's easy and anyone who doesn't do it is simply failing? Hell no. And of course it will come easier to some than others.

Either may be a grind. Even maintaining it afterwards may be a grind. And we only have so much fuel we can dedicate to our grinds.

Again, just speaking to my own experience... I do believe I am capable of driving my weight down. I have my brother as a clear example of how to get there. It was a grind for him, and he continues to grind to maintain it, and I give him a lot of credit for that. It's not that I can't, it's that I don't.

Is a 2X bodyweight deadlift a worthy goal that almost anyone can achieve? Yes, I believe that is the case.
Glad you mention this.

The differentiation between absolute strength and relative strength is important to consider for this conversation also. Bodyweight is to absolute strength as body fat percent is to relative strength? The simple goal is the same for every person of their gender. Small people have a hard time reaching the goal while big people have an easier time. There has been discussions in the past of what the standards would/should be based on weight and relative strength. Is it the same format of an argument?

@Bro Mo , certainly higher bodyweight tends to enable greater absolute strength, and lower body fat % tends to enable greater relative strength. I doubt those relationships are up for debate, at least on average.

I don't mean to assert the validity of any particular standards myself. In particular, I'm not qualified to say what a "healthy" body weight is, and I haven't hit a 2X bodyweight DL myself yet. I just point out that, just because we know how to progress towards a goal, doesn't mean it's easy, nor does it mean everyone can get there at the same rate. We can talk about genetic potential and the like, but I suppose in the end, I think that for most of us genetics is not the limiting factor.

We talk a lot on these forums about the difficulty in building max strength and endurance simultaneously. I imagine body composition is in the same bucket - one more thing that puts demands on your ability to recover and your mental energy. Plus, general life wants its share of those too. So we make choices... but, particularly for me, I recognize that I'm making a choice.

I read an article on T-nation a while back that advocated, instead of trying to do-more-eat-less, cycling between do-more-eat-more and do-less-eat-less. It's an idea that appeals to me intuitively, but I have yet to try it... I like do-more.

When you have a lot of weight to lose, anything will take a lot off. But you eventually reach a point where you can't out-train the kitchen. That's where I'm at.

This exactly. And sometimes you decide it´s not worth it, as long as you feel good. I´m a good example for this. My weight swings between 90 and 110 kg.

I had several full body transformations:
Ten years ago I was more of an endurance guy, never had to watch on my food intake, but also wasn´t interested much in food. My appearance was tall and slim, but not skinny. Weight 85kg.

After a ripped achilles tendon I gained much weight and kept it for nearly two years as pure fat. Due to the lack of races I forgo my discipline and swapped my love for endurance events for the couch, good food and to much tasty icecream. Big, soft and floppy in appearance. Weight 120kg.

Two years later after several unsuccessful trys to get back running I found the love for strength training in the gym. Before I never needed it and found it mostly dull, but this time it filled a need. I got "all in" and mutated to a full time gym rat. Very big in appearance, a little bit of fat, full blown muscles. Weight 115 kg but mostly muscles.

A few years later the gym was canceled and pure bodyweight training was a fixed part of my live. My diet was still absolutely pleasure orientated. At this point I was a guy with to much fluff in appearance but surprising power, mobility and endurance. From the looks nobody would have guessed my abilities, since the blownup gym look was gone, but I felt stronger than ever and much more functional. Weight 105kg.

I decided to go back to MTB racing. With this motivation I took a detailled look at my diet and changed it to healthy and lower calorie intake. This took a while to get used to and I had a really hard time losing weight, means it was a steady but very slow progress. The interesting thing is that there was kind of a tipping point after which it was fairly easy to keep my weight down, nearly as in the early days. Appearance was back to tall, slim and much more athletic than in the endurance days. Weight 90kg.

Right now I´m not racing any longer and also don´t show the discipline regarding my diet as I did in racing days, and I´m back to a bigger, softer look with a little bit of fluff but still athletic. Weight around 100-105 kg.

So what. For me this is the perfect state. I can enjoy live, I´m still functional and feel good in everyday life. My girlfriend is happy since she has a little bit of soft belly to rest her head and a firm butt to rest her hands on. ;)

I´m focusing more on my training than on my diet. Through the time and experience I spent with optimizing my diet I will never ever again lose control over my weight as in the past.

Long story short:
Don´t use genetics as a excuse. Take your time, try to strive for the best form possible at least for once in your life and from there decide where you feel the best without sacrificing all the good things in life.

My girlfriend is happy since she has a little bit of soft belly to rest her head and a firm butt to rest her hands on. ;)
I've mentioned this before, but a friend of ours taught us a good expression - one's small belly is to be called one's "good life" because, if you don't have it, people don't think you're living the good life.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom