all posts post new thread

Old Forum Rant: reverse engineering, selection bias, barbells, bellybuttons, genes

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mattsirpeace

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi all,

I have a half-formed rant here and I apologize in advance for not posting a clear argument.  What I have to say is directed at the fitness landscape as a whole, and not to the high quality of information here at StrongFirst.  Dr. Judd's excellent blog post on the obsessive downside of elite performance especially got me thinking.

Average people busy with their lives have a hopelessly muddled notion of how to "get in shape."  People actually don't know that in order to get strong, you should do strength training.  There is a twisted psychology going on where people would rather associate with mediocrity than study success.  I stay out of commercial gyms to simply not wallow in this mire.  It's impossible to begin with failure and somehow ratchet that up into success.

"Success leaves clues" is a theme at StrongFirst.  I think that's Dan John quoting Anthony Robbins.  Here is where Pavel's reverse engineering approach comes in.  Why not take a cross-discliplinary approach, examining those who have succeeded -- lifters, gymnasts, warriors, and others -- and distill the common principles?  I doubt anyone has done this as well as Pavel.  It's not about the kettlebell.  The modern era of training is over one hundred years old, and we have ample evidence of what works.  It is simply nuts for anybody to ignore what has already worked.

My generalized gripe is that although studying success is necessary, it does not guarantee success.  I am thinking of those articles where a successful athlete, bodybuilder, movie star, explains "how they did it."  The usual cliches about courage, perserverence, etc.. along with some specific tidbits of advice that might actually be useful.  What is left out is the overall context.  If we are looking at an athlete, he or she was born with an innate talent for the sport, and came along at a time and location when they could succeed, and lucked into a good training environment.  Yes, they trained hard.  But they had almost everything else going for them as well -- even a rough childhood can be a plus.  To truly reverse engineer success would require a time machine, choosing parents, background, coaching, historical era, and a match of talent with sport.

Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers" goes into this.  How Bill Gates or The Beatles had many uncanny external coincidences line up, in addition to their dedicated work.  In "Fooled by Randomness" Nassim Nicholas Taleb writes about financial traders.  Lucky egomaniacs with little talent.  He also critiques a book about millionaires.  The authors note that wealth is associated with financial risk-taking.  So is bankruptcy.  But the authors don't mention that, because they only surveyed millionaires.  Emulating Snooki will not make you rich.

Ah-nuld is an example we all know.  He worked hard, and smart.  But he also gambled with his health.  He had the genes -- absurd natural biceps.  And he occupied a spot in history -- with mentors in his hometown, and Joe Weider's need to put a white guy on the cover of his magazines.  And the man didn't know it all.  He wrote about muscle sculpting and spot reducing into the 1980s.

Ninety-nine percent of strong people got strong with barbells.  But barbells don't guarantee strength.  I have a lanky body type, and barbells have always been awkward for me.  I'm not whining.  I've used them, slapped the plates on, and got strong.  But the barbell never quite fit, and powerlifting or weightlifting was never gonna happen.  No problem now.  I can lift all I can manage with a hex bar and kettlebells.  But programs based on the barbell discriminate against the ten percent or so of the population with long legs.  What happens is that skinny kids unconsciously are uncomfortable with barbells.  And coaches aren't interested in them because they have no future in rough sports anyhow.  So a segment of the population self-selects itself out of strength training.

For my lovely, unlanky friends over at the other end of the somatotype spectrum, I have enormous sympathy.  There is an obesity epidemic.  However, there is also such a thing as fat & fit.  If a person strength trains, does cardio, is active, doesn't eat garbage, and still isn't ripped, it's OK!  Ladies especially, forget about six-pack abs and just be healthy at whatever your natural weight is.  Don't worry.  Healthy is hot.

This also gets into causation and correlation.  Fallacy soup here:  Runners are skinny, therefore to get skinny you should run; runners eat pasta, therefore to get skinny you should eat pasta, etc...  Taleb calls this the "Swimmers Fallacy."  The notion that swimming causes a person to be tall with broad shoulders, a slim waist, and elegant limbs.  Walk into a climbing gym and you'll see skinny limber people with ripped abs.  Do rocks cause abs?  Pullups do not cause low bodyfat, except to the extent to which strength training in general reduces bodyfat, which is quite a bit.  Pigskins don't cause hypertrophy, and running fast doesn't cause citizenship in Jamaica.

If anybody wants to say that genetics is an excuse, they are missing the picture.  Genes are the canvas.  Every organism on this planet is a gene-propagating vehicle.  We don't have genes.  Genes have us.  DNA was here first.

Reverse-engineering success is necessary for progress, but insufficient for success.

Sorry if this post was sprawling and incoherent.  Please post replies and help me clarify my thinking.

Thanks!

" I stay out of commercial gyms to simply not wallow in this mire. "

Matt, unpolitically correct, elitist, and very well said :).

For a while I lost motivation to strength train because I was stronger than all my competition in soccer and the only person squatting or DL at the gyms I went too.  I figured, what was the point of adding 10 pounds to my DL if I can already beat everyone I play with in the DL by 50 pounds? But that was cause I was training in the wrong environment like you say.

@Daniel, we're just doing real training like everybody else on this forum.  Rather than earning attendance points by showing up at the gym, appeasing the fitness gods by looking busy and getting tired.  StrongFirst is a great, just to see that other people are training smart.

I really liked "Intervention" because it begins with the individual instead of with such-and-such program.  The concept of quadrants may prove to be exactly the roadmap people need.  In Easy Strength Dan & Pavel do get into individual differences.  There should be some cogent guideline like "Universal principles, individual application."

I would start a certification called "Phenotype Movement Screen" except that the abbreviation is bad for marketing.

"I can lift all I can manage with a hex bar."

Matt, a hex bar DL can be a useful adjunct to training but no more; its leverage is too perfect to make you really strong—like the leg press.

"But programs based on the barbell discriminate against the ten percent or so of the population with long legs."

Long legs usually mean long arms—an asset in the DL.  In the SQ just take a wider stance.  In the BP eat more.  You will never lift as much as stocky guys in the bench and squat but you can put up surprisingly good numbers.   The whole "hard gainer" mentality sabotaged many young men who would have become strong if they were not given this excuse.

Matt,  I too am a long arm, long legged dude, and I've only had modest success lifting(Bench,Squat, and DL).  Over 20yrs ago in High School lifting for the football team I got what has been my best in those movements.  I got so discouraged a few years ago that I quit lifting and started running.. Killed the knees.  Now am back to lifting, and it's really helped me in the sports that I participate in.  I'm getting stronger, more fit, and I love the results I'm getting in my respective sports(Skiing, Mt. Biking, Tae Kwon Do). 

Skinny people need to just be realistic about weight training and define their goals.  They may never be like the big dudes at the gym, but they'll be stronger, faster, more powerfull at their respective sports they participate in. 

Read Andy Bolton's and Pavel's Deadlift Dynamite.

Matt, define, for yourself, success.  What do you mean when you use that word?  I ask because I don't know how you define success and I'm not sure you do, either.

-S-

matt, yes this forum puts things in perspective for me.  when i play soccer i am stronger than everyone i play with.  for example yesterday in pick up game a starter from bolivia's national team happened to be there and it was silly how slow and weak he was compared to me.  then i come on here and i am undoubtedly one of the weakest men on here.

what is the deal with this body type stuff? are people with long arms weaker or just worst at lifting barbells? jeff how come you say skinny people are faster? i think speed is based on power which is based on muscle

@Pavel  Always a treat to receive a reply from you.  I did go pretty far with barbells, and like you guessed, the deadlift was my best movement.  I eventually got 500 lbs, raw, conventional, overhand.  This was hunchback-legpress style.  I got stopped by overuse instead of excuses.

My issue is with the barbell clearing the knees, especially in cleans.  All I could manage was hunchback cheating reverse-curls.  Anyhow, kettlebells have solved that.

@Steve, exactly.  The starting point has to be the individual being clear about goals.  I'm 39, and stepping back to form a plan for the rest of my life.  My big regret was using bobybuilding methods instead of aiming for wiry strength.

@Jeff, similar story.  Burned out on lifting & now loving it again.

Not just an ectomorph rant -- endomorphs have their constraints too.

Dan,  I didn't mean that skinny people will be faster than trained people.  The skinny people WILL get faster by lifting and developing muscle.

Matt, it's never too late to change body composition, particularly if your goal is to be smaller.  Eat less, lift short sets on long rests, and it will happen.  If that's what you're after, it's not hard to achieve.

But I wouldn't give up hard-earned muscle unless you had a very compelling reason to do so - instead, improve your mobility and flexibility so that you can lift using the kind of form you know to be best.

-S-

Matt,

Success leaves clues, as DJ says. And specificity is one of those clues. Whether your goal is mass, strength, leanness, endurance, you need to focus on that element of training. Your tools can vary, but consistency trumps programming every time. If you are a competitive athlete or have  a job that demands a physical skill set, you need to prioritize what makes you better. But if you are like 99% of people you need to find something you like and stay at it. It is far more important to improve yourself in the long run than compare yourself to anybody else in the short term.

The Evil Russian has no mercy for the weak...

when you least expect it, he calls you a big sissy.

I am a disgrace.  Since I dislike conventional pulls, the only honorable action is Zercher deadlifts.  Now I really have something to cry about.

Steve & Jack, wise words.  Thanks.

Matt, if it's any consolation, you don't see many guys like myself (5'8") in Strongman comps. Also, American team sports punish short stocky guys, not many playing football, basketball, or even baseball anymore.

Great thread. I think another point to consider in all of this as well, is that while the goals are paramount, as you wisely pointed out, Steve, we must also once again consider DJ's advice, and be weary of pursuing too many goals simultaneously. We may want to "get strong" for a while, then "get fast" for a while. There is nothing wrong with any of it, provided it comes from within yourself, as you articulated, Matt. Just don't chase all of it simultaneously. One goal at a time. Focus. That is where I feel so much of the confusion and insanity comes from... everyone has a program or whitchyfitchet that will "do it all". For myself, I am a small, skinny dude. I was built for endurance, but have proven to myself over the decades I have at least some propensity for strength.My goals change with what is going on in my life.  No, I'm not not one for competition strength, but strength none the less. Being a survivor for the 2nd time now, I find myself once again pursuing physical strength. In time I may chase speed to see if I can develop it where I haven't before. Or maybe I will set another endurance goal. Nothing says any of it must remain the same. The only constant is what I guess you could call "holistic strength". Regardless of how many kg's I can press, I'll always be strong first.

Pavel, thanks.  I think you mean sumos will help with getting past my knees?  I'll try them again.

The article on Konstantinovs in PTP Professional was interesting.  The geometry of my skeleton forced me to discover that exact same technique.  Gruesome and not worth it.

Should deadlifts force you into at least some trunk flexion in order to actively develop the erectors?  So, not a pure hinge like swings?  & the hex bar is too friendly, even for non-competitors?

I've done Zercher deadlifts before and amazingly enough they feel natural.  I figure Zerchers are dangerous, but so is life, and I'm into injury prevention.

I'm content to be "entry-level" strong and may just assign myself the goal of pulling double bodyweight once a year every year, no drama.  So, 425 at 212 or thereabouts.  Swings are definitely in, and I'll take Pavel's advice and give sumo a chance.  Or approach conventional pulls indirectly with Zerchers & the hex bar.

Thanks deadlift gurus for any insights.

P.S.

"Why Amateurs Should Train Like Professionals", another good blog post.

There is some nuance in application.  For example I should NOT copy Konstantinov.  The deadlift technique that lets me pull the absolute most weight is also murder on my upper back.  But that doesn't let me off the hook and it's still important that I do some variation of deadlift.  On the other hand, I have a friend who is built like Ed Coan.  She could model her training after his with little modification other than reduced weights.  It's tricky.

Hi all.

What I was getting at is called "survivorship bias": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias

Pavel actually published a few words on this way back in 2000 in Bullet-Proof Abs.  Hope it's OK if I type out the section:

Do you believe that Cindy Crawford looks like Cindy Crawford because of the exercises she demonstrates on her tapes, or because she was born Cindy Crawford?

Business heavyweight Robert Ringer once said that successful people often do not know what really got them to the top.  Translation: you can rely on no authority but hard scientific facts and common sense.

Asking people with good abs about the secret of their success is similar to asking a person with a nice smile about dental care.  Even if they are honest, they often attribute it to the wrong reasons.

Now, I'm not for one second comparing Konstantinov to Cindy Crawford, especially not to his face.  I just was amused that Pavel had already written about this brand of fallacy.

One concrete bit of good came from posting this rant.  Pavel's suggestion to try sumos was spot-on.  My DL shot up to 436 with only three weeks of PRACTICE.   They are both effective and ergonomically acceptable, and look like my main deadlift choice for the foreseeable future.  So, after lifting for twenty-five years I almost know how to pick a barbell up off the floor.

P.S.  I bought Deadlift Dynamite -- excellent!

hear hear!
I am a lanky guy too.
A wise man over Dan John Q & A once said lanky guys should do  close-ish grip bench and I did it with Pavel's 80/20 5x5 PL workout.  Few weeks later, my wife said my arms look nice.  :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom