all posts post new thread

Old Forum Recovery

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

tigheguy

Level 5 Valued Member
Just wondering peoples thoughts, if you take easy weeks/Deload weeks is it really necessary to take full weeks off ?

I don't do de-load weeks often.  When I was doing 5/3/1, I would deload with kettlebells.  I think it is absolutely necessary to take full weeks off.  For the mental side of it just as much as the physical side.  I notice that after 3 days, I don't have any soreness and that I'm not missing it at all.  Then around day 6 or 7, I start to look forward to doing it again.

You feel rejuvenated.

Scott, deloading is based on loading—and the athlete's work capacity.  E.g., here is a old practice of the Bulgarian national team.  An athlete would start with alternating loading and deloading weeks, then would move on to two loading weeks plus one deloading, then finally 3+1.

Deloading is always built into an intelligently designed training plan—even if you do not see it on the surface.  E.g., in Gallagher's cycles you add 2% of weight a week, while cutting reps every 4 weeks.  If you did 400x5 in the last week of 5s, the next week is 410x3.  It is heavier—but also easier than the last week's load.  In addition, more equipment is typically added with every rep drop.

we explain the theory and practice of deloading in detail at the SF Lifter cert. For now, pick a tested program and do not try to insert some other coach's deload into it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom