all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Repetitive Strain - need substitute for TGU

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

James

Level 1 Valued Member
I have recently been diagnosed with repetitive foot strain.
The issue is from my toes to the balls of my feet.
I need to limit my walking but also I am unable to put any weight
on to the top of my foot so doing things like lunging is out of the question.
I've been trying to do S&S Mon to Fri with half get ups but I have found that you still
need to come up onto the balls of your feet before the lunge and this still causes me issues.
I was thinking of substituting 1 arm military presses.
Perhaps 10 reps per side like what is recommended in PTTP.
Like the get up I was thinking of doing the presses one rep at a time.
1 press left, 1 press right every minute so it would take 10 mins.
I'm wondering if it might make it easier to progress onto heavier weights this way.
For example, 10 reps with a 16kg. 1 rep with a 24kg and 9 reps with a 16kg. 2 reps with a 24kg 8 reps with a 16kg and so on.
I'd greatly appreciate any feedback.
Thanks.

Seems reasonable to me, although you are missing some of the other benefits of the TGU. My two pennies worth.... in addition to the presses I might throw in some pull-ups. Also can you do arm bars or the first part of the get-up before the actual lunge?

How long do they say you need to take it easy? Are there any rehab strategies that you have been given?

For press, don't set a time frame especially as short as 10 minutes. Given you have physical limitations, training within short time frame can be harmful.

@James , why do you "need" to come up on the balls of your feet for the half get up? I don't, though technically it may not be kosher. I leave the top of my non lunge foot flat on the floor. It's easier on the knee for me. I only use my toes to lunge up and down, otherwise the top of my foot is flat on the ground during the wiper portion of the get up

Or you could do as Dan John does and only go up to the high bridge and back down

Last edited:
Similar to what @rickyw said, maybe just doth getup, and stop one step before something causes you pain. You'll still get most of the benefits. You might want to add a rep or two per side to make up for lost time under tension, since you might only be doing 2/3 of the movement, but that's easy enough to do.

Thanks guys. Some great feedback and ideas. I'm gonna try them tomorrow and see how my feet hold up.

@James , why do you "need" to come up on the balls of your feet for the half get up? I don't, though technically it may not be kosher. I leave the top of my non lunge foot flat on the floor. It's easier on the knee for me. I only use my toes to lunge up and down, otherwise the top of my foot is flat on the ground during the wiper portion of the get up

Or you could do as Dan John does and only go up to the high bridge and back down

Great suggestion. Thoracic mobility issues from decades of throwing footballs has limited me in the TGU, but the high bridge has allowed me to use representative weights. Both the high bridge and reduced-weight full GU have done wonders for my mobility. I need to do more arm bars, however.

Years ago I was nailed with heel spurs and tennis elbow at the same time. I had a tough time reconciling these conditions with my need to exercise but ultimately bought a rowing machine and used that for a bit while they resolved. Rowing is a nearly complete movement in terms of exercise, and the swing is a neat cross of deadlift and row. If I'd been into KB I'd have likely not bought the rowing machine.

If TGU is causing grief I'd skip it and do swings and other supplemental exercise that your current conditions will tolerate. Trying to increase or improve on load bearing at the same time as rehabbing an injury is not a productive strategy IMHO, though you are on a positive track with the alternative regimen that avoids the injury site.

There comes a point where, when working around health issues, tweaking plan "A" is no longer a solid option. On to plan "B"!

Like guys already wrote, doing a half get-up is a good option. Just keep your foot straight. Make sure you get some experience with it and don't start with your usual weights. Keep the weights light/medium until you feel like you own this "new" position of your foot.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom