all posts post new thread

Old Forum Required Hamstring flexibility for full HLR

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pats

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello everyone,

Because of a stretched (not strained) tendon, any pushing movements hurts a bit so I decided to stop doing them for now before anything really bad happens.

One of my goals now is reaching a full HLR as per Hardstyle Abs. I have both the book and the DVD.

If I follow the progression laid out by Pavel (doing them on the floor, raising my shoulders higher and higher), will that allow me to have flexible enough hamstrings for my feet to reach the bar while hanging?

Or should I be doing some kind of stretches as well (other than the one demonstrated on the DVD)?

Thank you.

Pats, I recommend you work with someone in person or post a video of the current state of your HLR. You don't have to have great hamstring flexibility but it does help. I usually do a toe touch type stretch before I do any HLR practice.

Not sure what "stretched (not strained)" means - sounds a bit like "shaken (not stirred) from a James Bond movie. :) But I'd be careful about whatever it is.

Back to HLR - if you keep your gaze forward, your grip width on the bar not too wide (shouldn't be wider than shoulder width and generally should be narrower), and don't let your elbows bend, the exercise will be self-limiting. Just go as high as you can get by moving slowly and under complete control, then hold that for a second before lowering under complete control. Post a video of that plus whatever variation you like, please.

-S-

Mr Freides, thank you for your reply.

By stretched, I mean that it got stretched when I pushed too hard on a set of full ROM HSPU. I had it checked by a sports doctor and he advised me to stop any pushing exercise now before it turns into tendonitis, so stop I will.

As for the HLR, I will try again tomorow but I did keep my gaze forward, my grip narrow (as per the Hardstyle abs recommendation) and my elbows straight.

I was really trying to avoid my back rounding a lot but after your post, maybe the back should be rounding? It's just that Pavel makes it look really easy and his back looks kind of flat in the pictures.

Very few people can keep a completely flat back in an HLR. Look around at a few pictures. Usually there is some movement at the shoulder as well.

Just try to minimize it.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom