all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Results from one handed swings with 40 kilos

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pantrolyx

Level 6 Valued Member
I have borrowed a 40 kg kettlebell since the late summer, so I've finally had access to do some heavier, one handed swings. Although training has been very inconsistent, some interestning experiences have been gained.

- Swinging a 40 kg bell really smoked my grip and forearms the first sessions. The difference from swinging the 32 kg bell was extreme. I can comfortably to 100 OAS, S&S style, with no breaks, whereas swinging with 40 kg still requires plenty of breaks, mainly because of grip fatigue.

- My grip strength has also increased. First of foremost, I have noticed the progression in grappling, especially with a gi. More than one of my training partners have commented on my grip strength lately, and I find that to be a fascinating progress as a 37 year old who is not completely unexperienced in grappling.

- At work, where I do some of my inconsistent strength and conditioning sessions, the heaviest KB are 24 kg. Swinging 24 kg now feels significantly easier, and my breath is even calmer than before after 100 reps. Swinging heavier transfers to increased efficiency when swinging light, seemingly.

- My performance in straight, hanging leg raises has increased with a couple of reps, in spite of not doing them.

Borrowing the 40 kg kettlebell seems to be a good idea when preparing for my second MMA bout, and I have concluded that I need to buy one of my own. :)

Just got one myself..I can two hand swing it and use it for farmers walks.. But give me a few months..

I love mine, even though I hurt my back, picking it up.....

Got mine last week. I actually found I could one-hand swing the 40 coming from a 32 a lot easier than 24 to 32. My guess is the heavy weight (32) was very instructive in forcing me to clean up my technique and bits the 24 allowed me to exploit. Granted, the 40 certainly challenges me but I feel better prepared for it.

Oddly enough, a day after I did my first swings with the 40, I got my first snatches with the 32. A week prior I was hesitant, but the 32 felt like nothing after the 40. Amazing what the mind and body adapt to.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom