all posts post new thread

Old Forum Rite of Passage Program advice.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GalifreyTourist

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi guys I would like some advice on moving from the 20kg bell to the 24kg bell in the rite of passage program please. I can easily get Five clean and press reps with the 24kg bell. But When I try to do ladders I can only do two ladders of 1,2,3. (pull ups in between) .My third ladder is 1,2. Are there any good programs or ways that I can build up my ability to do ladders as written.

Has anyone got any advice?

Hey thanks for your help Jason. I am taking about twice as much rest as work inbetween rungs and 5-8 mins between ladders.

I just managed to complete three ladders but I used a substantial side press to complete my failed reps. Is this really bad practice?

What is your experience with the 20kg on ROP?  Have you gone through the whole program?  How many times?  Have stayed at the top volume for a while?  And on the days you do the full 75 presses, how long does that take you?

Move back down to a weight that you can complete your reps with perfect form. Rest between rungs as needed  to accomplish this. Once you own the lower weight and can complete all 5 ladders for 5 rungs, move up to the next size bell and start over. I asked a similar question a while back and that was pretty much what I was told. It worked well for me. I went from struggling at 24kg to easily pressing it and working with 28kg and maxing at 32. Good luck!

Craig

Ok I have been using the 20kg on RoP for 2 Cycles, So that's 16weeks of RoP and 8 weeks of S&S (using the 24 and 32kg bells) On the hight volume day it takes  60-75 mins to complete the presses and pull ups.

Does anyone know how to post a video of my form?

Were you most recently on S and S or ROP?  If it was the former, my guess is your upper level press strength is probably pretty good, but you are lacking pressing endurance.  For that go back to ROP with the 20.

If it is the latter, unfortunately, my advice is the same.  Like Craig said, stick with the weight.  Sure, you can get all the reps in, but if you are not ready to handle the next weight you need to stay with the weight you can handle.

Staying at a weight is boring, but as Pavel would say, that is your problem, deal with it.  Moving up in weight too fast never gets you anything but trouble.  I say that as someone who has done it.  More than once, too.

So once I got to that point, I moved up to 24kg, reduced it to 3 ladders of 3 then worked it back up to 5/5. My pulls would have suffered from the reduction so I started doing the lower reps with extra weight.

You're not resting long enough.

One option, in addition to what has been said, is to go with the 24 and rest 3 or 4 minutes between rungs and ladders.  If you find your volume suddenly increases, stay with that and progress as described in the book.  If you can't gain any ground with that change, then the 24 is too heavy for you on this program, right now.  Drop back to the 20 and keep working.

Thanks for your advice. everyone. Brian It probably is an issue with my clean and press endurance. would a different variation of the press (with the 20kg) help me to keep on progressing. I could do Military presses instead of clean and press, or I could do seated presses.

Al's advice is spot on. Rest longer between rungs. Don't side press, and do clean before each press (you can skip it on light days if you want, as per the book, but keep it on medium and heavy).

I was wondering something like this as well.  I am about to finish up simple goal (might hit it this afternoon I am really close) and was going to move on to ROP for a while.

I only have 16kg, 24, kg, and 32kg bell.

So the jump to higher bell might be tough.

I was thinking of working in the heavier bell similar to how you would do it with the Get Ups.  Start off with just the first step in the ladder just pressing it once, then press the lighter bell for 2 and 3 then move up a ladder every week or so till I am doing it for all 3 then move up to 5 as usual.

Any problem with this?

Post a vid so we can see... you can rest 3-4 minutes between rungs and up to 5 mins between ladders if needed...

Daniel, you have lots of answers already but as any true comrade I will shove my opinion down your throat as well :)
IMO You can do the 24 without any problem at all, no need to still go back to the 20.

On pressing:
I say do the presses as you can, if that means sidepress then by all means sidepress. If it means military-sidepress (without recleaning in between) then do it that way. When you have more faith in your strength at that level, cause you have the strength allready you just have "to know" you posess it.

On rest:
My self as an example, I take between 2 minutes and 1 hour between my presses/rungs. The important thing is that you do your presses, not when you do them.
When it gets tough really cramp those glutes and abs, crush the handle, crush the other hand. Squease that lat to set up the press (imagine having a tennisball in your armpit that you crush before pressing)

Remember, you have all the time in the world, just sit back and enjoy the journey, no need to rush the progress and or progressions.

Daniel,

A similar thing happened to me when I did the RoP with the 20 kg for the first time. I completed the RoP with the 20 and was not yet ready for the 24.

The problem was that the 20 got so easy and the training sessions got so long, I was going too fast and loosing my focus on creating maximal tension.  I was foolishly focused on moving the weight (working out) rather than training the muscles and nervous system (practice).  It turned into strength-aerobics rather than helping me accrue top-end strength.  I was going through the motions, but I wasn't doing the program as written.

When I reported to this board, Pavel suggested I do S&S until I achieve the Simple goal as a way to fill in the gaps.  I walked that path and it definitely helped.  I did some work with some SFGs that really helped my pressing technique.  Haven't done the RoP with 24 yet but its on the short list and I am ready for it now.

Some food for thought,

Chris

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom