all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Roll-to-elbow strengthening drills

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

4-bit

Level 5 Valued Member
I've been stuck on the TGU roll-to-elbow move for longer than I want to admit (years). Whatever I do, I just can't do a solid 16kg move on the left side. (On the right side, I've been able to do a 20kg without effort)

I've been doing all the Khalos Stenos drills, gained a lot of thoracic spine mobility, read/watched every blog, article and tutorial video on the Internet (or, so it feels..), but I still can't progress beyond three 16kg reps with terrible technique.

Now I'm beginning to think that I either have some anatomical deviation (maybe a slight scoliosis) that makes it unbalanced; or that I'm just too darn weak in some key muscles.

I think I have sufficient drive from my leg, but I'm a bit unsure about exactly which muscles (lats, abs?) that do the rest of the work since it's such a complex motion.

If you would design a (preferrably weighted) strengthening routine that specifically targets the roll-to-elbow muscles - which exercises would you choose?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hello,

As you said, the GU is a complex motion.

If I were in your situation, I would first assess my technique using the 'shoe GU'.

Then, if the shoe GU is on point, I would work on 1/4 GU. 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps, 3-5 minutes rest between each set.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Not an SFG, but I have moderately severe scoliosis (26 degree curvature that goes from L1 up to C8), and I've worked my way up to doing TGUs on both sides with the 32.

What specifically is the issue with the roll to elbow? One thing that I found was that adding work with the heavier bell with elongated time under tension, really helped me get a "feel" for the weight. The way I did this is I would add work with the heavier bell *after* my S&S practice, basically doing static holds of the stages of the TGU once I was able. In your case after you do your S&S practice I would finish with a floor press and hold with the 16, work up to a 10s hold at the top. Once that feels solid, I would floor press, hold for 10s, roll to elbow, work up to 10s hold at the top, roll down to the top of the floor press, work up to a 10s hold. Then I would floor press, hold 10s, roll to elbow, hold 10s, tall sit, work up to a 10s hold, back down to elbow, work up to 10s hold, back down to top of floor press, work up to 10s hold, etc, etc. until I could do the entire movement like that.

Once I could, *then* I would start working in the new bell into my sets using the pattern laid out in the book. Some stages (like the floor press), I could usually get right away, and would immediately start working on the later steps, others would take a few sessions or even a few weeks. Once you can do the full range of motion with 10s holds at each stage up and down, doing a "regular" TGU feels like a piece of cake.

I've been stuck on the TGU roll-to-elbow move for longer than I want to admit (years). Whatever I do, I just can't do a solid 16kg move on the left side. (On the right side, I've been able to do a 20kg without effort)

I've been doing all the Khalos Stenos drills, gained a lot of thoracic spine mobility, read/watched every blog, article and tutorial video on the Internet (or, so it feels..), but I still can't progress beyond three 16kg reps with terrible technique.

Now I'm beginning to think that I either have some anatomical deviation (maybe a slight scoliosis) that makes it unbalanced; or that I'm just too darn weak in some key muscles.

I think I have sufficient drive from my leg, but I'm a bit unsure about exactly which muscles (lats, abs?) that do the rest of the work since it's such a complex motion.

If you would design a (preferrably weighted) strengthening routine that specifically targets the roll-to-elbow muscles - which exercises would you choose?

To be honest, I’d really consider working with a SFG if you are stuck and chasing this goal. There are so many small details about leveraging the get-up, you need a separate pair of eyes to help you with. Have you posted a video?

For me the roll to elbow was always the most difficult part, not like I was alone. What’s funny, only the 40kg bell had erased it.

Now, I would suggest ab work and heavy partials for helping yourself get through this.

Good luck

You can get a lot of pin-point positive feedback from this wonderful community if you post a video. They would see for example whether you roll vs. straight sit-up, if you leverage with a slight bell lead, if there is an overlooked tension leakage ...etc.

Best of luck!

SFG
Video

@4-bit

Consider training from the top down. Instead of practicing rolling up, practice wedging and creating tension on the way down.

In the video I am driving my elbow down and back to activate the Lat and pack the shoulder. Try it with no bell first to get a feel for it and then add a light bell to practice. Go for 2-3 sets of 5 on each side.

@4-bit

Consider training from the top down. Instead of practicing rolling up, practice wedging and creating tension on the way down.

In the video I am driving my elbow down and back to activate the Lat and pack the shoulder. Try it with no bell first to get a feel for it and then add a light bell to practice. Go for 2-3 sets of 5 on each side.

Great tip, Nathan, 100% agree. Btw. it applies to the whole get-up - people will find the correct angles and transitions on the way down, in the "get down".

What fixed my roll to elbow was a Mark Wildman video. He shows the getup as first a roll to the side then to the elbow.
Although I didn't roll to side as distinctly as he shows at around 3.45 in this video
, with this in mind, I immediately started rolling to the side, rather than "lunging" up.
See if it helps.
Edit: Up until then I was also struggling on the left with what I thought was a strength, but which turned out to be a technique, issue.

Allow some variation and practice without weight. Motor patterns are learned more quickly when you allow yourself to explore (vs. rigidly following a formalized standard).
Things to explore:
- Angle of the bottom arm: Maybe 90 degrees work better for you. Harald Motz does it this way.
- Angle of legs: Maxbe keep the straight leg in line with the body and not angled to the side. Allow the bent leg to tilt 45 degrees or so.
- Timing: Try to lead with the hips, as if it were pulled upward diagonally. Or try to roll on the side of the torso, onto the arm, and only then initiate the upward roll to elbow.
- Tempo: Try it very slow and look for stable positions. Or try it explosively.
- Try different breathing techniques. Power breathing (tsaaa!), or holding your breath. But breath in before the roll.
- Setup: Squeeze your hands, abs, glutes and pack your shoulders before you initiate the movement
- Do some Original Strength segmental rolling and try, for a moment, to stop overthinking it, and just follow the movement intelligence of your body.
- Use different bell sizes and alternate. They can all teach you something. Heavy weight is instructive.

Finally, you can of course practice single arm rows to strength you upper back and scapula.

Hope that helps!

Really excellent points everyone has said..

If I may:

Work even the unloaded getup but go really slow on your getup to elbow..

Go really slow elbow down to your back.

And yes, video and do even 1-2 sessions with an SFG..

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom